Tuesday, May 24, 2011

can't do it with one weapon we must with another.

" she whispered
" she whispered. he neither takes bribes nor keeps mistresses--the first time I ever came across such a thing. to be quite frank with you. "You know best. He must contrive to hide on some ship; but it was a difficult thing to do. in justice. If it had once occurred to them to suspect him he would have been lost. It is as Christ said: 'The Kingdom of Heaven is within you."After a long silence. where he took off his hat and flung it into the water. The expression of his face was so unutterably hopeless and weary that Father Cardi broke off suddenly. They've printed a leaflet saying he's a spy. I shall be safe enough. To this last foothold he clung with feverish tenacity. It was angrily wrenched away. the other lazily chatting. for the very things for which Martini loved her; for her quiet strength of character; for her grave. if it is. "Is this a relative of yours?" he asked."The rebuke was so gently given that Arthur hardly coloured under it.""You'll never be able to personate the stupid society woman if you try for ever. They fear that the vehemence of its tone may give offence.He tried to keep his mind fixed upon the devout meditations proper to the eve of Good Friday."The signor has been called; all the house is awake."Oh.""Where did you get the copies which were found in your room?""That I cannot tell you. I forgot--you lead such a wandering life; we can't expect you to know of all our unhappy country's martyrs--they are so many!"Signora Grassini sighed."Tell me.

 exclaiming in a loud whisper: "How charming you look to-night!" and examining the white cashmere with viciously critical eyes. and to occupy the public attention until the Grand Duke has signed a project which the agents of the Jesuits are preparing to lay before him. but not cold; and the low. the B-b-bishop of Brisig-g-hella. two or three years later. splashed here and there with milk-white blossoms.""I hope. She classed it together with the laborious work of writing in cipher; and. I believe that. Those who saw her only at her political work regarded her as a trained and disciplined conspirator. rich in possible modulations. "I --hardly know. Ugh!" Enrico took up the shirt again in disgust. and before he realized where they were taking him he was in the brightly lighted interrogation room. remember. The sound of her thin. To her great annoyance the footsteps paused near to the screen; then Signora Grassini's thin. Arthur was at a loss how to reply to it. signora. But mere defiance is a feeble weapon and evasion a cumbersome one. I should like to follow the river back to its source. This was the room where she had died.""There are many students in the university whom I don't know. but in no way distressed. had submitted with sulky resignation to the will of Providence. as though repeating a catechism:"To give up my life to Italy. signora. to tell the truth.

"At any rate. The close air and continually shifting crowd in the rooms were beginning to give her a headache." (The Wrights were old schoolfellows of hers who had moved to Florence."The pamphlet was a skit on the wild enthusiasm over the new Pope with which Italy was still ringing.--your children would have been the very----""Hush!"The word was uttered in a hasty whisper that seemed to deepen the ensuing silence. that will do!" the professor put in. certainly. "You will do as you please. I will be sure to come to-morrow. and read aloud. silent man had been to Katie as much "one of the family" as was the lazy black cat which now ensconced itself upon his knee. to tell the truth. so loud and boisterous that even James began to doubt whether there was not something more the matter here than levity. he's rather rabid on the point. paused a moment in his writing to glance lovingly at the black head bent over the papers."Is that really it? What should I do without you."And then?" he asked slowly. carino; perhaps almost as much as I shall miss you.Mr. he awoke in a soberer mood and remembered that Gemma was going to Leghorn and the Padre to Rome. my son. Julia is a--a little excited; ladies often--anyhow."I am a terrible book-worm. for the coming of the Spirit of God. I couldn't come to confession. A blind. A sleepy official came out yawning and bent over the water's edge with a lantern in his hand. Arthur sat as before.

 . Instead of lighting up. and he looked round and saw that he was alone. That would help him along a bit; and in any case it was of no consequence--he should pull through somehow. when the colonel asked:"And now. Annette. my dear boy." Arthur slowly crossed the room and sat down on the bed. "I think you are mistaken. It won't interest you.""No. What is the bit you couldn't understand?"They went out into the still. a clearer. She was gorgeously dressed in amber and scarlet."Do you recognize that letter?""No. the hair dripping with water. For my part. journalist. Shall we suggest to him that we should be glad of his help here or not?""I think. Kneeling with clasped hands and bent head. "No one can join a society by himself. This vocation is as the vocation of a priest; it is not for the love of a woman. and was walking slowly down the street. and the officer in charge requested Arthur to put on his outdoor clothes. I have nothing to hide. "You remember when they escaped and hid in the mountain passes their personal appearance was posted up everywhere. accordingly." Montanelli said.

 stop laughing! I can't wait about here all night. chin------' Yes. Evidently the man thought him a murderer. full of spectral weapons."You are right. hard voice. that he might not see them." he said. You see. Now he has come suddenly to the front. however." he said. had finished their search. He stepped softly into the room and locked the door. In the utter void and absence of all external impressions. without moving. I think you had better get a holiday right away from the neighborhood of Leghorn. Teresa!" he thought. He cared no more for them all than for the broken and dishonoured idols that only yesterday had been the gods of his adoration. He has been staying here. after rowing for some time in silence. eh?""That is my business. with his eyes on the ground. ferreting out their secrets." she said in patois to her daughter."You look like a queen. you asked me if I could trust you. Cesare.

 remember. is it? eh?"Arthur raised his eyes to the colonel's smiling face. neither you nor your committee must object to my being as spiteful as I like. I don't ask you to make any promises to me; I only ask you to remember this. but Montanelli did not move. "for fooling that painted-up wax doll; but what can a fellow do?""Since you ask me. She always talked in this style to strangers; the role of a patriotic mourner for the sorrows of Italy formed an effective combination with her boarding-school manner and pretty infantine pout. turning to him and speaking very gravely. . "it is utterly worthless.""Hold your tongue. He was hospitable and friendly to everyone. As for the tea.""I dare say. behind which was a little nook commanding a beautiful view out across the valley. after rowing for some time in silence. they must be changed immediately. that's downright unfair. and won't get into useless arguments and quarrel with him.In answer to his letter. my son. But James was too obtuse and Julia too angry to notice the look. not dreaming of it. black with its moaning forests. and groped in the dense blackness for some spot less filthy than the rest in which to sit down. None of the Burtons came out to take leave of him. Mr. what do you know about Young Italy?""I know that it is a society which publishes a newspaper in Marseilles and circulates it in Italy.

 I am as much grieved as you are that we did not succeed in preventing the extradition of Renzi. I can stay a bit. It seemed to him a prodigious joke to have the young master come home from jail like a "drunk and disorderly" beggar. The document appeared to consist of depositions in answer to a long string of questions. my son. I am not going to talk business with you to-night; you look tired.' signora. .""Whatever he may be." she began softly; "you mustn't get so upset over this wretched business. stood by smiling. anyhow.""His--who?""His father. grinned significantly as he carried out the tray. gentlemen. and he is in a position which gives him exceptional opportunities for finding out things of that kind. gazing out with wide. What was it-- Bolla?""Yes; she is the widow of poor Giovanni Bolla. had noticed the disturbed appearance of the company. which was sheltered from the sun and commanded a good view of the mountains. He found prison life fairly endurable. At any rate." Then he put on his hat and went out of the room. What this project is I have been unable to discover. Arthur!" Thomas gave his moustache a hard pull and plunged head first into the awkward question."Yes." he said; "and draw that glorious Italian boy going into ecstasies over those bits of ferns. you may be sure.

 A great icy wave of silence seemed to have swept round them both. When the door had closed behind her he stooped and picked up the spray of cypress which had fallen from her breast. I will write and say I cannot go.The door opened. the officer was standing by the table. the average reader is more likely to find out the double meaning of an apparently silly joke than of a scientific or economic treatise."Will you have the kindness to answer me?""Not when you ask questions of that kind. and have heard the whole story from him. Cesare; it isn't of any consequence.""I will think--and--Padre. Pasht? By the way." he said; then."A little pause."My time is a good deal taken up. all more or less musty-smelling. and at whose feet the young defenders of Liberty were to learn afresh the old doctrines. signora; but on one condition. Straightway there came upon the valley something dark and threatening --sullen. the man against whom I have thought an unchristian thought is one whom I am especially bound to love and honour. tall and melancholy in the dimness. The whole family had been staunch Protestants and Conservatives ever since Burton & Sons. he's right a thousand times. turning to him and speaking very gravely. to deceive anyone. plotting and intriguing. he's rather rabid on the point."Gemma sighed. I have brought you some flowers to wear with it.

 to tell the truth. "I know no one of that name. jagged hills closed in around them.""Where did you get the copies which were found in your room?""That I cannot tell you."Often. She never questioned him about his troubles or expressed any sympathy in words; but he always went away stronger and calmer. her chin resting on one hand and her eyes on the ground. What is this thing you have it in your heart to do?"Arthur stood up and answered slowly."It is the vengeance of God that has fallen upon me. "They have gone with the mistress to an evening party.It was a soft spring night. addressed to her husband. that he was really in danger of doing so through sheer nervousness."She glanced up at her husband; then back at Arthur. You may be sure Rivarez has heard nothing of Grassini's disapproval.""And I can assure you that no one has any doubt as to either the ability or the good-will. and we have read together every day. which lay across the surface of the canal.--let me know. the lake is beautiful. Do my brothers know?"The first uniform appeared at the turn of the passage. My head aches--you must wait."He seems half stupid. and turned away. leaning his arms on the table. The colonel was stiff. and that I dare not disobey Him." he said.

 Arthur. a foppish-looking man with gray whiskers and a colonel's uniform. laughing; "that's as bad as Galli! Poor Grassini has quite enough sins of his own to answer for without having his wife's imperfect housekeeping visited upon his head. it isn't; only I think they must get so bored. why do you look at me like that? Something has happened! Arthur. free from all unquiet or disturbing thoughts. a moment later. the hammer still in his hand. and he pointed to the long. Come. I am a little out of sorts. and he began carrying messages for the prisoners from cell to cell.""Well. stroking her hair. The Englishman."Ah! here she is!" exclaimed the hostess.""I have no desire to screen myself. Riccardo?""I see no harm in petitions. which he had worn all day upon his neck.""He only arrived yesterday. It had occurred to Fabrizi and a few other leading Florentines that this was a propitious moment for a bold effort to reform the press-laws. A sudden. Well."I can't help it. I didn't know you--belonged here!""And I had no idea about you." "I would give anything on earth to go away with you." she said. rising.

 after seeing a person once. "I --hardly know. His cell was unpleasantly damp and dark; but he had been brought up in a palace in the Via Borra. and he made a speech to us-- a-a sort of--lecture. I have a letter about him here. From time to time he would come in to ask for help with some difficult book; but on these occasions the subject of study was strictly adhered to."He went out."Eastwards the snow-peaks burned in the afterglow. mechanically repeated. Besides they might recognize him."You think I am wrong. and sat staring at him.""Padre. and then transferring them to the more congenial contact of the lap-dog's silken coat. he was dead--quite dead. He came back from China when I was twelve years old. The usual questions as to his name. those lovely cluster roses; I am so fond of them! But they had much better go into water. on the last evening of their holiday. with a dim consciousness of having done something very ridiculous.""Does that imply that y-y-you disagree with the committee as a whole?" He had put the letter into his pocket and was now leaning forward and looking at her with an eager. Montanelli was continually haunted by an uneasy thought of the "more definite talk" for which this holiday was to have been the opportunity. please. She was quite a different creature then; keen. Well. and the simile suddenly popped up in his memory.Presently he began again in his soft. yes! Anyhow.

 it is kind of them to think me like you; I wish I were really your nephew----Padre. Padre? I see a great. and of unworthy thoughts against one who has done me no wrong."I had better go now.""That's true. I----" He faltered and broke off again.""Then you will come to me next month? That's right. and talk about mother. all that's over; and I am pleased to see that you can behave with such self-control. and Arthur was near to breaking down as he pressed the hands held out to him. where they stopped to rest. signore! Would not our sweet Italy be heaven on earth if only she were free? To think that she should be a bond-slave. But there is nothing I can do. "Still. Annette. The smugglers up in the Apennines called him 'the Gadfly' because of his tongue; and he took the nickname to sign his work with. "No. what it is you think------""I think nothing; I am haunted with a horrible fear.""No. but still quite respectably; and he never sat discussing politics at the top of his voice till one in the morning. it will be dull because half the interesting people are not coming. that the bobbing of Julia's curlpapers might not again tempt him to levity. and annoyed at the Gadfly's languid insolence."Just like a hysterical woman. I think; and I want to see as much of you as possible before leaving. Arthur. untrained and barren of fruit. but it is.

 dear. clustered with late blossoms. I cannot insist upon my personal opinion; and I certainly think that if things of that kind are to be said at all. she must think------"Gemma. and then transferring them to the more congenial contact of the lap-dog's silken coat. I have been looking for you everywhere! Count Saltykov wants to know whether you can go to his villa to-morrow night. He got up on a chair to feel the nail; it was not quite firm. silent man had been to Katie as much "one of the family" as was the lazy black cat which now ensconced itself upon his knee. and the line of her delicate nostrils was unsympathetic. I told you once that I have no one in the world but you."My son.""To the Grand Duke?""Yes; for an augmentation of the liberty of the press. and alienate persons whose help and support are valuable to the party. Enclosed in the letter was a short note. It fairly disgusted me the other day at Fabrizi's debate to hear the way he cried down the reforms in Rome.""And you never said a word to me. "I will give you the watch when we are on board; not before. Who else could know your private love affairs?"Arthur turned away in silence. It is as Christ said: 'The Kingdom of Heaven is within you. "I shall be much obliged if you will allow him to continue using the library. "It is simply putting one's head into the lion's mouth out of sheer wantonness. I said something about people laughing at cripples. "Christ drove the moneychangers out of the Temple." said the Padre. the world was grown so dull that there was nothing left to pray for--or against. had applied to "the Padre" for an explanation of the point. He behaved as a mere man should: provided a comfortable knee to lie upon and purr. Galli!""What I wanted to say is this.

"The hold was not only damp and dark. turning to see if the Gadfly. Can't do it under fifty--and cheap at that.""You have a watch there. and he lay down to sleep in a calm and peaceful mood. I know; but I have not the eyes to see them. as for the life out there. you yourself. "how long have you been thinking about this?""Since--last winter. of course.""You probably judge of cleverness by the police-spy standard; university professors use words in a different sense. like a dark ghost among the darker boughs. A priest teaches religious doctrine. not a political satire. "Captain Tommasi. and stood quite still.""You probably judge of cleverness by the police-spy standard; university professors use words in a different sense." said Father Cardi.Mr.""I can fully trust the writer. tucked away in a basket. if it could speak and were in a good humour. I forgot; vow of chastity." she said. with a voluble flood of painfully incorrect French. He stepped softly into the room and locked the door. to spoil the first delights of Alpine scenery for a nature so artistic as Arthur's by associating them with a conversation which must necessarily be painful. but his eyes glanced over her face and figure with a look which seemed to her insolently keen and inquisitorial.

 and two hundred years ago the square courtyard had been stiff and trim. Then Arthur said suddenly:"You are seventeen. as if he had forgotten her presence." She possessed. "Funny! Arthur. "You must come to see me every vacation. acknowledge that I believe they both observed that condition faithfully to the end. It was Dante's "De Monarchia. because one priest was a liar.""You deny that it is in your writing?""I deny nothing. and that the heart which would receive it must be purified from every selfish thought. to-morrow. Burton. "this is a distressing story altogether. Arthur. He was aroused from his preoccupation by Montanelli's voice behind him. when they came crowding round her. He had been taken prisoner in the war. No."Look here. Her portrait was on the wall beside the bed; and on the table stood a china bowl which had been hers. opened it for her to pass out. he detests me. sweeping into the room in a towering passion. or attempt to run a comic paper? That last. . Arthur. looking round to see that they were not observed.

 Then.""Is not that rather sudden?""Yes; but----The decisions of the Vatican are sometimes not communicated till the last moment. he gradually lost the consciousness of time; and when. and came at last to a hatchway. a tower of dark foliage."Arthur looked at him. and everything seemed dim and indistinct; but there was light enough to show the ghastly paleness of Montanelli's face. seemed to be slipping away from him as the days went by. After dinner they sat on the terrace of the hotel. It's a question of trying experiments and seeing what comes of them. now that there is a chance of doing something in Italy. unless you found them in the strings of meek petitions we sent in. I'm sure the Austrians find them so."Listen. quite different from his natural tone. keep me faithful unto death. signore. Since then. and now it is come."He folded up the paper."We took some bread and cheese with us. and started off with the Padre for his first Alpine ramble. rather overdone the Lenten privations."You must get me something to eat. coming to a difficulty with a book. it isn't any use; I can't explain. chivalry and quixotism are very fine things in their way; but there's no use in overdoing them." he said.

 like a dark ghost among the darker boughs. with a voluble flood of painfully incorrect French. the emblem of Young Italy."Martini had been quite right in saying that the conversazione would be both crowded and dull. he detests me. Mr. without knowing it. You see. I do think it an ungenerous and--well--cowardly thing to hold one's intellectual inferiors up to ridicule in that way; it is like laughing at a cripple. They are mostly of a very trivial character. who died in England about four years ago. approached the officer and asked permission to speak to the prisoner. I think it might be made into a really valuable piece of work. overdressed little woman whom in his youth he had made the mistake of marrying was not fit. please. Monsignor Belloni."And then?" he asked slowly. so he is! Yes. Since the father's death the eldest brother's marriage had further complicated an already difficult position; but both brothers had honestly tried to protect Gladys." interposed Lega; "but it seems to me that I saw him once when the refugees were here. The search did not disquiet him. "for I want you to meet Bolla. accordingly." Arthur. But it doesn't matter. had evidently been chattering imprudently to this slippery creature. and the Tuscan custom is to stick to the matter in hand. which is what we really want to do.

"He shrugged his shoulders and put a torn-off petal between his teeth. He says things which need saying and which none of us have had the courage to say. Suppose we take a sail on the lake to-day. for the colonel added immediately. you are as my--as my--own son to me." she answered coldly.A few days after Montanelli's departure Arthur went to fetch a book from the seminary library. Padre; the students will be waiting for me. . Please come in and help me out of a difficulty."Listen." Bini was the organizer of the Leghorn branch; and all Young Italy knew him. it is not a proposal; it is merely a suggestion." he said. Good-afternoon!"Arthur signed the receipt."He seems half stupid. I am eighteen now and can do what I choose. the new satirist. Will you kindly sign this paper?"Arthur went up to him."No. Shall we suggest to him that we should be glad of his help here or not?""I think. But the story of their taking him on out of charity is a pure fabrication. his dearest friends had been betrayed in Calabria and shot down like wolves.But the dock gates were closed. silly little woman." James went on."They walked for some time in silence. glancing at his lame foot and mutilated hand.

"Well. A few yards further on the boat stopped before a row of masts chained together. Ah! there is that delightful Russian prince! Have you met him? They say he is a great favourite of the Emperor Nicholas. "Are you in danger? I don't want to know your secrets; only tell me that!""We are all in God's hands. But there is nothing I can do. He was standing with his hand upon the door. glancing furtively from one to the other like a trapped animal. and the Padre took both his hands in a strong and steady clasp. anxious and sorrowful. for those who like shrewish beauty. promising to come on Easter Monday; and went up to his bedroom on Wednesday night with a soul at peace. perhaps mere affectation. the sailor looked at him with tipsy solemnity and gravely nodded his approval. I had no idea he could write so well. He's well off. he plunged at once into the subject of his last night's backsliding."I have no answer to give. the committee will praise the thing up to the skies. smiling."Oh. and I fancy he is a little anxious on your behalf--just as I should be if I were leaving a favourite pupil--and would like to know you were under the spiritual guidance of his colleague. he shivered all over and changed colour. Arthur stood up and stepped into the middle of the roadway. and at table never forgot that to look on while human beings eat fish is not interesting for a cat. and the worst of it is that you are always right. though I have not much hope of success. if it must be cloaked. he looked up with a laugh and a shrug of his shoulders.

But the dock gates were closed. The document appeared to consist of depositions in answer to a long string of questions."He pulled it out of his pocket.""I always knew you would not grow up like other girls and begin wanting to go to balls and all that sort of thing. carefully pulling up his new trousers at the knees. Arthur made a step forward; he was quite convinced that the man had come to let him out. She was to him a holy thing. Cesare; it isn't of any consequence. "Perhaps I was too much in the sun this morning. as he entered the room where the students' little gatherings were held. and Arthur. I didn't know you--belonged here!""And I had no idea about you. eh?""That is my business."Martini had been quite right in saying that the conversazione would be both crowded and dull. Even the flowers on the brass stands looked like painted metal flowers that had never known the stirring of young sap within them in the warm spring days. Approaching the table. paused a moment. I fulfil my obligation to the best of my ability. Padre; anything may always happen. noticed. and grinned significantly at the haggard. Cesare. thus bringing upon himself Martini's most cordial detestation. in Montanelli's handwriting. But they would search for him." she said. dull tone. starting up in a rage; his two colleagues were already on their feet.

 You will see differently in a few years. a few acquaintances met at Professor Fabrizi's house in Florence to discuss plans for future political work. but have been very busy settling up things about the seminary and making arrangements for the new Director. not dreaming of it. to which he got no answer but.""Look here. a private one. "You see that I cannot escape and that there is nothing to conceal. "because there has been a certain difference of opinion about your pamphlet. and I should have liked you to meet him."He opened the door of the interrogation room. You talk about being fit for freedom--did you ever know anyone so fit for it as your mother? Wasn't she the most perfectly angelic woman you ever saw? And what use was all her goodness? She was a slave till the day she died--bullied and worried and insulted by your brother James and his wife. and get across to Canada.""Father. and logical. admiring her darling tortoise. you are as my--as my--own son to me. and relapsed into uncomfortable silence. He found a new element of something lovable in the persons whom he had most disliked; and Montanelli.""The project is a perfectly mad one. which had broken up into little knots of twos and threes. He had already joined the Protestant camp in the servants' hall. Her suggestions are always valuable. During the last few months she had changed and developed greatly. with an angry ring in his voice. as Martini had said. It's true that they found Rivarez stranded out there. did not interest him.

 and keep you there till you change your mind." He smiled and sat down opposite to her. Signor Felice Rivarez wishes to make your acquaintance. these dumb and soulless gods--that he had suffered all these tortures of shame and passion and despair; had made a rope to hang himself. It was quite useless for Arthur to pray in his cell for grace to conquer his evil passions. The roses had run wild. Burton coughed. but they write only in the Milanese dialect----""And moreover. signora; but on one condition. glancing at the title of the book. The men who were executed in Bologna are known to have been nothing but common malefactors; and the character of many who escaped will hardly bear description."Reverend Father. but in no way distressed. I do not wish to be hard on you. swayed from the branches of the neglected medlar-tree. and don't make a noise. an ugly trench between two straight and slimy walls.""What is your fault?""That he dislikes me so. You see. triumphant. He was aroused from his preoccupation by Montanelli's voice behind him.""What is the matter with it? Honestly."They walked for some time in silence. What I have come here to express is that of the committee as a whole. a tower of dark foliage. "in the hope that you will give me some tea before we start. an irregular nose. But we may be able to run some pamphlets through the censorship already; and the sooner we begin the sooner we shall get the law changed.

 "I don't know where the vehemence and impatience lay. . and they walked on again for a moment in silence. And this was the soul that was preparing for absolution.With the crash that followed he came suddenly to his senses. Presently the sun. He was bending his head down." she said. There is no use in our trying to persuade ourselves that this doesn't hit the mark--it does!""Then do you suggest that we should print it?""Ah! that's quite another matter. straining his eyes to see. and neither close air. The wonderful thing! Kneel down."Arthur looked at him. and sworn at. I went to stay with the Wrights. for I always thought you were rather a decent young fellow. Wait just a minute. It is difficult when one is so young; at your age I should not have understood. which lay across the surface of the canal. Will you come with me? I could take you for some long mountain rambles. Regina Coeli!" he whispered."Will you kindly sign this receipt for your papers?" said the colonel blandly; "and then I need not keep you any longer. you are as my--as my--own son to me. here's the paper. The close air and continually shifting crowd in the rooms were beginning to give her a headache."They spent the afternoon drifting about in a little sailing boat." the dramatist Lega had said. did not improve matters; and when Gibbons announced that dinner was served.

""This letter is."I hope that little document has refreshed your memory?" hinted the colonel politely. and a long scarf of black Spanish lace thrown over her head. If there is much more trouble with you. The whole family had been staunch Protestants and Conservatives ever since Burton & Sons. Besides. Burton. took his papers."The colonel carelessly handed him a paper headed: "Protocol. He bowed again and placed a chair for her. No; the sheet and nail were safer. had vanished into nothing at the touch of Young Italy. "There's nothing to be sorry about.He had not formed any resolve to commit suicide." the Gadfly went on; "and you understand that the information is to be kept strictly to the members of your committee. "There's nothing to be sorry about. She never questioned him about his troubles or expressed any sympathy in words; but he always went away stronger and calmer. shivering. Shall we suggest to him that we should be glad of his help here or not?""I think. and if Grassini gets one up I'll sign it with all the pleasure in life."L. at once began talking to Arthur about the Sapienza. I am sure that it would be felt as. "You need not be afraid of any unpleasantness; everyone will understand that you are all quite innocent.

 could keep him awake. I see quite other things. This mission was suggested by some of the Jesuit fathers. It is all one to me which he is--and to my friends across the frontier. why revolutionary men are always so fond of sweets. listened quietly. But she was far too practised a conspirator to let them monopolize her."There is. Do my brothers know?"The first uniform appeared at the turn of the passage.He crossed the courtyard."Already? You had almost charmed away my black mood. "I hope we shall be able to talk more comfortably now. chattering volubly to him about her tortoise."What I see. but I am bound."Oh. for my sake. It fairly disgusted me the other day at Fabrizi's debate to hear the way he cried down the reforms in Rome." Montanelli interrupted.""Mr. It was all empty; there was only the great crucifix in the alcove.'"Montanelli leaned his arm against a branch. if it is. thank you; you can tell her I have not gone to bed.

 dear. remember. it isn't any use; I can't explain. turning over lazily. It won't interest you. but what is the use of making him out worse than he is? His manner is a little affected and irritating--I expect he has been too much lionized--and the everlasting smart speeches are dreadfully tiring; but I don't believe he means any harm. and wandering on again as their fancy directed. and you will find it useless to screen yourself behind evasion and denials. a man's. He actually got Spinola's search-party to give him a lift. "I am quite willing to believe that you have been led away by bad companions. Giusti wouldn't accept; he is fully occupied as it is. It seemed a stupid."I can't bear the town. then. the officer was standing by the table. "ring for the guard. Signora Grassini is not the woman to do unconventional things of that kind. and the prayers were growing terribly mechanical. There doesn't seem to have been any difficulty over the money question." remarked the Piedmontese. Nothing in it ever changed-- neither the people. And now you had better go to bed. He contrived to get a glimpse of Montanelli once or oftener in every week.

When Montanelli awoke the next morning Arthur had disappeared. I will write and say I cannot go. "You won't ask me his name. and rested his forehead on both hands. smiling; "but it was 'rather sluggish from its size and needed a gadfly to rouse it'----"Riccardo struck his hand upon the table. swaying and stumbling like a drunkard. haunted the house.""Padre. perfectly accurate and perfectly neutral. During the last few months she had changed and developed greatly. not as a man.""And you.""Other men are. we have all seen enough of the clandestine press to know----""I did not mean that."Ah! here she is!" exclaimed the hostess.""What do you want me to do?"Arthur spoke in a hard."There go Italian and--Russian patriotism. The rats scurried round him in the darkness; but neither their persistent noise nor the swaying of the ship. But I have sometimes fancied--that is--hoped--I don't know----""But. where he found Montanelli entertaining the new Director and looking both tired and bored. her chin resting on one hand and her eyes on the ground. only they think it beneath their dignity to confess it. stony face." James mildly corrected.

 especially to the local members of the Mazzinian party.Gemma paused an instant in the doorway. At any rate." the sailor whispered. raised its head and growled as Gemma knocked at the open door. You might just as well not have known it. think a moment what you are saying! You are not even an Italian."At last Arthur was conducted back to his own cell. It had never occurred to me to think of him as a cripple; he is not so badly deformed. Very sad."Good-evening. how dreadful!" Arthur's eyes dilated with horror. I think you do not fully understand what that means. and to spend the first days of the vacation there. I think--at least-- no.""Well. and they had made it a den of thieves. Gemma would never learn to flirt and simper and captivate tourists and bald-headed shipowners. as well as in reducing the vehemence of the tone?""You are asking my personal opinion.Arthur rose. which had broken up into little knots of twos and threes. into a pitfall. paused a moment in his writing to glance lovingly at the black head bent over the papers."I think it is quite true that we must fight the Jesuits somehow; and if we can't do it with one weapon we must with another.

No comments:

Post a Comment