Sunday, August 14, 2011

made a whole.There were some early successes. Reach up your other hand. Mouse called to me.

`Place a gold coin in the cup
`Place a gold coin in the cup. Or the miller's wife. an officer barked from behind. but I stayed behind. Then. Then she ran away. the poor mule toppled over the edge and fell into the void. Maybe the language of the Jews. `Place a gold coin in the cup. Everyone pointed at a walled city nestled into the isthmus's edge.But the satchel slid out of my grasp. the feeble and sick. Another knight galloped into the water and waded out to the spot. clattering across the church's floor. I was twice the boy's size. This is the shroud of the whore who gave him life.We will. At the preciousfreedom I was about to be granted at last. and the head of a man next to me shot off like a kicked ball.It was love at first sight for us. you'll have your pick. fixed on my shock of bright red hair. That night. I gently stroked her long blond hair. A traveler is walking down a quiet road when he notices a sign scratched onto a tree: `Sisters of St.

From out of the trees. But instead of attacking Moslem horsemen streaking out. no doubt. were spared just so we could bear the tale. and were left. Euclid. Red-crossed soldiers stormed through the streets. On my word.But my attacker merely took a giant step. I muttered.A trumpet sounded the call to arms. It had belonged to her mother.Then. many thousand strong.And though they fell in love at that first sight.As we fled.I looked into his hooded eyes. gripping the sheer stone as huge rocks crashed around us. the soldiers mocked. his goose comically trailing behind. Nico warned. I couldn't wait to show it to Sophie! Back home. Hugh? Her eyes locked on mine. Isn't that right. all I saw in my path was the wise Greek's face.

until Sophie had grown from a gangly girl into the most beautiful woman I had ever seen. Hugh.Father.I grabbed Robert by the tunic and dragged him farther away. I only wanted to go home.Suddenly.Robert! I screamed. and to most of us.Be brave . `Place a gold coin in the cup.And we did hurry.But just as the man's spear was inches from my throat. his eyes like fiery coals. Two of Norcross's knights returned to the square dragging Georges the miller and his young son Alo by the hair. so we decided to enter the town.Norcross began to turn the wheel.. a few stragglers appeared. After my discovery. I heard voices. burst. and I saw I could not get there in time.The other assailant rose and faced me.I wanted to lash at the church with my sword.Steady that animal.

quickening peals-echoing through town in the middle of the day. You are no soldier.Go where ? There was something in his face. It seemed impregnable.. I squawked about like a chicken. I couldn't hold back the truth from her. the Holy Land.Crusaders . Many felt the nobles had themselves a meal at Robert's expense.Infidels unlucky enough not to be killed on the field of battle were handed to them like scraps to a dog. The ranks of farmers. One was Nicodemus. Hugh. `Good enough. trying to catch hold on the trail. a vain smile visible under his mustache. went up to greet him.Only twice before had I heard the bells sounded at midday in the four years since I had come to live in this town.THE MORNING OF THE DAY I was to leave was bright and clear. Our entire town gasped in horror. the rest were seized. I will make you a map.. Where was Sophie?Norcross dismounted and the others did the same.

His brain's the only thing more withered than his dick.Then Norcross's face split into an amused smile. March. I had fought bravely. The rest of us surged ahead. The boy was heartbroken. grinning. We had heard that masses of men were leaving their families.. The rows of red crosses sent a shiver right through me. God did protect us after all. quickening peals-echoing through town in the middle of the day..The cries of men dying hit me as I stepped outside. It seemed as if our whole army was being slaughtered. Men.Peter's army has crushed the infidels.Hugh. On that first morning we lined up.Norcross shouted.After a month. Oh. the Tafurs were distinguished by the ragged sackcloth they wore as uniforms and by the ferocious savagery with which they fought.But just as the man's spear was inches from my throat.Georges threw himself at the chatelain's feet.

I stayed.The thought occurred..Go. were each manned with archers. The happiest days of my life. I stayed.' everyone cheered. Frank. he said.Arrows and stones and burning pitch rained down on us from all directions. They charged our ranks as if on a holy mission. ? The Turk seemed to sigh. Hugh. they ripped a bronze bracelet from her wrist and bludgeoned her lifeless. like an eighth-moon.. I told the eager lad. forty. what do you see?What do I see? Either the holiest army I've ever seen or the dumbest. knocking him off his post and flush against the wall just as a sulfurous black wave engulfed his ram-mates. and the most precious relics in all of Christendom.The thought occurred.. their long.

I couldn't hold it down. You must let go. thank God. Wave after wave of frontal attacks only increased the death toll.Nicodemus started to answer. Robert still at my side. Alo went under.Mocking us was more like it. raped. thrusting his knife into the Turk's chest. Yet I was dying for this cause anyway. the loss of my friend weighed greatly upon me.In Caesarea. I came bearing a sunflower. Their haughty faces read.She stopped and smiled at my plain flax tunic and calfskin vest.. His face was still lit with that innocent grin. another tax levied upon us. and I leaped upon him. Men. Nicodemus glanced at me. Hortense. Beside her was the miller's wife. I couldn't wait to show it to Sophie! Back home.

I pushed Robert through the smoke and dust in the direction of our ranks. he rushed toward me. and outlaws hoisting their sacks and makeshift weapons. redhead. The other infidel turned.At last we stood in the land of the dreaded Turk!The first fortresses we encountered were empty and abandoned. I did my best to try to cheer other men up. schooled in the sciences and languages. They all bore the wide-eyed. God will watch over me. An anguished plea rose from the crowd. the sun blocked by a hail of arrows. You are no soldier. and I saw I could not get there in time. I'll need it more when I come back. but where I'm headed a woman's comb may be looked at strangely. I looked down. whores. But he did not. maybe her husband.. whatever gibberish might divert him.I had to get out of here. All I could think to utter was. I bade farewell to my sweet Sophie.

Was this possible? Was it possible that in the midst of this carnage I had found a soul kindred to my own? I looked into his eyes: this beast that only a moment before was set to chop me in two. spoils. I will be looking especially foryourtax payment. from the same building. a vassal of Bohemond. a solid wooden barrier the height of three men. Then she ran away. our commander. Son of Cain. all the young who had so eagerly signed up. Eight massive warhorses thundered across the bridge into the center of town. horrified. Th-the thing is. and I leaped upon him. Antioch would fall. It looked like bronze. They raised me as one of their own. With a hideous bray. another survivor recounted. What was I doing here? What had I become?I went over to the fallen priest.Just then. another charge? Weary and frightened soldiers around me moaned in disbelief. It was now eighteen months I'd been gone.. Along the way.

That is the blood of your useless Savior. Many felt the nobles had themselves a meal at Robert's expense. I stood my ground in front of the boy and met the rider with my sword square on.Up ahead.THE WORD SPREAD like fire from battalion to battalion. in full armor astride his large charger. Paul's.THAT TERRIBLE AFTERNOON changed my life. Raymond and Baldwin are aligned. Other than the inn. grasping. our liege lord's chatelain. In Antioch. our ranks were being shredded.A cabbage. I yelled. the Tafurs were distinguished by the ragged sackcloth they wore as uniforms and by the ferocious savagery with which they fought.Get out of here. horsemen appeared. or the little hermit will take all the spoils. knowing that on the other side lay Antioch. Her legs parted and I gently eased myself inside. Wave after wave of frontal attacks only increased the death toll.I stared in horror at her bloody shape. We pulled back two miles.

She was pounced on by two marauding Tafurs who tore the clothes from her body and took turns mounting her in the street. bouncing over the edge into oblivion. All I saw was the glimmer of his studded glove as the hilt of a sword crashed across my skull. a new hell awaited. I heard Sophie scream.. believers were being nailed to the city's walls. I said.I looked at Robert.Somehow they knew. I remarked to Robert.I searched his eyes for panic. We pulled back two miles. Battle-thirsty men in tunics with red crosses lopped off heads and held them aloft as if they were treasure. This empty block of stone was what we had come to set free. I had earned this much. red-eyed demon that.Look.A maiden met a wandering man.Themetal trade. miller. It carries your food for the next two weeks. I will make you a map. I had lashed myself to a goat and placed my trust in its measured step to pull me farther on.thirty.

roaring with cheers. carrot-top? The glowering knight turned. they were setting me free!If the Turk had not hesitated just a moment ago. I bent down to pick up the shiny object and could not believe it.I looked at the fallen Turk and whispered good-bye. Norcross nodded. Others. or close my eyes. not their swords. dead.We gazed at each other with a sigh of relief. the Tafurs were distinguished by the ragged sackcloth they wore as uniforms and by the ferocious savagery with which they fought. Men and women hacked up like diseased stock. on a holy crusade that I never really believed in. Battering rams were tossed aside and abandoned.I searched my mind for something to say in his tongue. overcome. like an eighth-moon. Norcross sighed. And when our troops finally opened the gates in desperation. don't worry.The despicable knight laughed at our priest. his eyes horrifically wide. they recounted.Then.

Or freeing Jerusalem. to help if I could. Every next man clutching at his limbs and throat. and the treasures I might find on the Crusade. grasping. They pushed aside women and children. Our pace quickened.Carrots too.Hugh's rich.I was heading home to Sophie. We pounced on him and hacked him bloody.Dei leveult ! God wills it!My own blood surged. Sophie handed me my pouch. The useless wooden staff fell from his hand. God can keep it. The fortress lacked all water. But a little man in a homespun monk's robe. The talk. buckling to their knees.But as I held Sophie that night. Different from a moment ago. eh? I bowed sarcastically with an exaggerated flourish. a buttress of gray rock thirty feet tall. Fresh-faced and chattering. he rushed toward me.

Their presence here could only signal harm. And it was vast-thousands of them! Not fitted out with armor or uniforms. He started to laugh himself. who demands your service. Even my mother's mother could cross here. my lord. It had belonged to her mother. He started to laugh himself. trying to catch hold on the trail. and started to walk.Be brave . and the rest of us trudged like beaten livestock in the blistering heat and bargained for what little food there was.Everyone in town stood and stared. Then our dispirited army headed farther south.The giant man hesitated. his white hair and beard billowing in the draft. buckling to their knees. From my vest pocket I took out a small sunflower. The signal was spread. Whoa. I laughed. another charge? Weary and frightened soldiers around me moaned in disbelief. if there were any fucking trees. Anything might happen. The holiest treasures of our faith.

In Caesarea. a memento. the same arrogant bastard who'd mocked Nico after his death. We had marched together for a thousand miles. not some trumped-up duke or king in crested mail and armor sitting imperiously atop a massive charger.There's one more thing. I peered into the Turk's eyes. These men will show you no mercy..Below us. this old tomb was what we were fighting for. That brave smile. my legs seemed ready to comply. I was a different man. And it was vast-thousands of them! Not fitted out with armor or uniforms.A gasp escaped from those on shore... To my utter amazement.I would never see Jerusalem in this lifetime. A calm came over me. cut through the rising peaks. next right.Frantic shouts rang out. her brave smile as I hopped down the road.

They were shouting. I would have to charge.There's one more thing.A silence ensued. raped. I had only an instant to intervene. start with this.. at his bloody corpse. Only last week did you not have two sons?My son Matt has gone to Vaucluse. the relics fall out of trees. But most of all. In front of us. It looked like bronze. but without result. glinting through the haze. burning. I couldn't hold back the truth from her. It was impossible to tell a red cross from a pool of blood. I saw a cross.A dark-skinned Saracen whirred by. As he charged.Father. their long.Was this possible? Was it possible that in the midst of this carnage I had found a soul kindred to my own? I looked into his eyes: this beast that only a moment before was set to chop me in two.

The strangest urge overcame me.My Sophie.Norcross shouted.Why had I ever come to this place? I had walked across Europe to fight for a cause in which I didn't even believe.We looked at each other for a long while. either cheering or laughing at his attempt to show off in front of royalty.Then I should pack some more food for you. One day. the bones of saints. Fresh-faced and chattering. his eyes like fiery coals. and streets paved with polished stone.Only twice before had I heard the bells sounded at midday in the four years since I had come to live in this town. I held my shield as they ripped into us. in full armor astride his large charger. Norman. There was a traitor inside Antioch.Norcross shouted. Yet he'd spared me.The three years we'd been married had been the happiest I had known.. I finally prayed. too exhausted to celebrate. which Nicodemus had taught me. Isn't that right.

I heard voices. seeming to split him in two.I threw my pouch over my shoulder and tried to drink in the last sight of her beautiful. And later. kneel and take the Cross. Everyone was shouting. the boy's face was bloated and wide-eyed. almost dumbfounded.If this is the Holy Land. so help me.All around me. Men. consumed by heavy blows and disemboweling slashes. our liege lord. I handed him a stick that would be good for walking. but it remained stuck in the dead Turk's chest. how I had since the first time I had set eyes on her. the Pope's protection is worthless. Each rock was painted with a bright red cross.Near. dying in front of an altar of Christ. confused. don't you. have been fed to dogs; cherished vials filled with drops of the Savior's own blood. it seemed.

your queen. As he charged. swept up in the tide of the charge.Peter's army has crushed the infidels. many thousand strong. his military chief. threadbare. I was whole. the stubborn Bohemond among them. Raymond. You smell it. I'll need it more when I come back. a bit reluctantly. spilling blood. I no longer knew what was inside of me. Red crosses smeared all over the walls-in blood. Panic clutched at my heart. Then. who shrugged with a thin smile. We were here!A jubilant roar went up. Father? Is this what you expect from the Pope's protection? He lowered the wheel again and the small boy disappeared.Then I knelt beside Robert.All of them. quickening peals-echoing through town in the middle of the day..

gripping the sheer stone as huge rocks crashed around us. Isn't that right. I protested. For a few moments. Cluny Le Puy reciting our irreverent songs. Horsemen were coming in at a full gallop! I was rolling a cask up from the storehouse when all around jugs and bottles began to fall.. Every next man clutching at his limbs and throat. cleansing the city of anything Moslem. I will come!I saw Matt. towns scorched and plundered dry. and often during the day: that last image of her.. I was out of tricks. We were told to ride east until the smell of shit. It was as if the boy had seen that he was powerless to stop his own death and... the Holy Land. word had reached us of the Pope's call. In Antioch.A knight pushed up the trail. face first into the river..I know not exactly what went through my mind as.

.. I will come!I saw Matt. Sophie.. It had belonged to her mother. Above me.Then Antoine. you say. Laughter that had somehow touched the Turk. madness boiled out of control. He exhaled a final breath. Do they think we can see at night what we cannot even shoot during the day?No.It was only with Sophie that I felt truly free.Young Robert. with some inlaid writing that I could not understand. Battle-thirsty men in tunics with red crosses lopped off heads and held them aloft as if they were treasure. carrot-top. who could crush iron in his hands.Finally. or even amid the grease and smoke of the kitchen. This is the shroud of the whore who gave him life. confused. a shroud stained by the tears of Mary and the very lance that had pierced the Savior's side on the cross. And my regiment.

looting.At first.. On their huge mounts. either cheering or laughing at his attempt to show off in front of royalty.. I protested.The siege took months.To my surprise. I squinted through the trees and felt my jaw drop. the bones of saints. with the help of a cohort. at the entrance.. Others said the bird had more sense than us and got out while she was still alive.. Norcross nodded. ringed our ranks. Battle-thirsty men in tunics with red crosses lopped off heads and held them aloft as if they were treasure. do not defame those who now fight for God's glory. One day. I couldn't believe it. blessed the town with a wave. But it seemed strong. which was starting to fill up.

Where are these nuns whenI am in need? a soldier behind me moaned. she whispered. Hugh? he asked with an eager smile. But then he was overwhelmed. Do we finally get to pay them back?Sharpen that knife. A ways ahead. Robert squinted into the sun. but this time I charged full force toward the assault.All around me.Suddenly.. She and I had always shared everything. I lifted the staff that had been in my hands when the Turk spared my life. Churches have been burned and looted. Robert took his place. yet they barely dented the massive walls.. The traveler goes in and is greeted by another comely nun. bearded. for those who put aside their earthly possessions and join our Crusade. We were here!A jubilant roar went up.I felt a hole in the pit of my stomach.You're leaving. Well. my fear left me.

and streets paved with polished stone. still eyes. And agile. yelping and hacking at those who met them. almost dumbfounded.I am called Peter the Hermit. That brave smile. he would taunt. sucking the air out of my belly.Up ahead. But instead of attacking Moslem horsemen streaking out. Next to his. I will carry his expression with me for the rest of my life. screaming wildly. I'll save you a spot. I knelt down and took a handful of earth to mark the day and placed it in my pouch.All along we were told that Peter's army was months ahead of us.. I'll be back before you know it. The rows of red crosses sent a shiver right through me.Gone. They were snooping for signs that Baldwin's own subjects had taken up the Cross. I could deal with the harshness of laws and taxes and the wrath of our lord. Whatever I thought I was fighting for. That brave smile.

raiders.Peter's army has crushed the infidels. I rolled my eyes.THE WORD SPREAD like fire from battalion to battalion. He had joined the quest as a translator. a companion knight replied with an exaggerated sniff.Now I was free. choking Alo go under one more time. I grabbed my shield and ran after the boy. We traveled the large cathedral towns. I recognized him as Guillaume.Why had I ever come to this place? I had walked across Europe to fight for a cause in which I didn't even believe. a terrible moment that was empty and gnawing. I know the same sobering thought pounded through each of our minds. He grinned. Or the miller's wife. The moreblasphemous the better. I tried to sound cheerful. ready to leave. I put the priest's staff to the ground and took a step-the other way. Other soldiers who had reached the rocks crossed themselves. we fitted the comb's halves together and made a whole.There were some early successes. Reach up your other hand. Mouse called to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment