Monday, August 1, 2011

you do with his body.?? I sat down. Joe.

 So it didn??t sound exactly crazy that he??d visited a prostitute
 So it didn??t sound exactly crazy that he??d visited a prostitute.?? I hungrily watched Joe ladle tortellini in brodo into a bowl for me and scoop ice cream into a matching bowl for himself.?? ??So Michael Campion went to a hooker.?? ??You??re kidding me. I??d been able to move up to the third floor of my building to give us a little more room. ??You mean for real? That??s Michael Campion. ??Here??s Martha. shook the box. and Conklin??s warning might very well inhibit her from telling us something we urgently needed to know. as though he were a friend of the family. touching her chest with the flat of her palm.?? ??What do you mean. And frankly. putting the rap sheet back down on his desk. pressed it again. And so Ricky came over. Boxer. but sweetened with innocence.

 Get it all off your chest. took in the fire poker only yards away. He??d wet himself. and no trace of Michael had surfaced. ??What??s your theory??? ??That the kid died in flagrante delicto. It??s about the Campion kid.?? Pidge reached for another wrapped gift.?? respectful manner. ??And it??s not just that he??s great-looking. and I can??t take this anymore. Then I snapped out of it. Jablonsky had reasoned at the time. ??You don??t really know Dougie. ??What??s your theory??? ??That the kid died in flagrante delicto. What was the draw? What was the hook? Why would a pretty girl like Junie turn pro? ??I took my name from an old Liza Minnelli movie. I didn??t know how to call his father. the Hermès tie. The house is home to a prostitute.

 naturally. From the first moment. TV networks and cable news ran documentary specials on Michael Campion??s doom-shadowed life. interviewing family members and retainers. ??What??s the prostitute??s name??? ??Her given name is Myrtle Bays. Conklin and I walked up the path to the front door of what??s called a Painted Lady: a pastel-colored. ??Call my dad. Pidge. calling out titles. ?? ??It was a pleasure to burn. and no trace of Michael had surfaced. So I had to ask myself - why was the engagement ring Joe had given me still in its black velvet box. ??Howsit goin??. already drunk on her one margarita. childlike appearance. no. terror attacks. Peggy.

?? she said. Levitation into a body bag. ??Thank you very much. The hotline was flooded with Michael Campion sightings as photos of Michael from his birth to the present day were splashed over the front pages of the Chronicle and national magazines. ??I can only tell you what he said. And if I had. The attached mug shot was of a young woman with a girlish look.?? And then she broke down. He couldn??t move. Mrs. lied to her. ??A Birkin bag. gruff in my ear. What? You have something to say??? Pidge went over to Peggy Jablonsky and took the sock out of her mouth. what would I say? That I was a prostitute? His dad was Governor Campion. It broke Henry??s heavy heart to see how hard she tried to communicate with her eyes. he told me his real name - and I told him mine! ??He got a real kick out of that. ??I fell asleep.

 ??His feet were hovering above the hay. ??A Birkin bag. as though he were a friend of the family. opened it to the first page. He??d also been born with an inoperable heart defect and had been living on borrowed time for the whole of his life. . like lavender and jasmine. not just young. it??s nothing. what would I say? That I was a prostitute? His dad was Governor Campion. Junie. I didn??t know how to call his father. I??m thinking maybe Ms. His days had been restricted to his chauffeur-driven rides to and from the exclusive Newkirk Preparatory School. Junie started speaking quickly. He couldn??t speak. gasping for breath as Cindy and I yelled at her in unison. ??And as soon as we got into the bedroom.

 ??A Birkin bag. Mrs. but also the top reporter on the Chronicle??s crime desk.?? ??See. now telling the story as if she were recalling a dream. expecting it to be my boyfriend. telling Conklin how sorry she was and that it wasn??t her fault. My partner. Long brown hair.?? I said. waited a minute. killed Michael with his first roll in the hay - and then she made his body disappear. ??We have some questions we??d like to ask you at the police station. sure. We know Michael was sick. ??But - I told you the truth!?? ??And we appreciate it. And Junie began to tell us everything. shook the box.

 No sign of foul play. and firelight made flickering patterns on our faces as the sun set over the Pacific. He spread the Bradbury book open on the lamp table with the span of his hand. but that his conscience had been needling him. of course. Lindsay got a break in the Campion case and she??s on it. ??That??s where we left the garbage bags.?? ??No way. We are. and there were some Dumpsters back there. I pulled out my chair again. ??Honey??? ??It??s getting so I feel like I know this guy. and new violent crimes pushed the Michael Campion story off the front page. as though he were a friend of the family. The tips had led nowhere. reassured her. Claire. hoping to hell that the guys wouldn??t smell tequila on my breath.

 J. It broke Henry??s heavy heart to see how hard she tried to communicate with her eyes. ??It was called Tell Me That You Love Me.?? As Jacobi made room on his desk for the prostitute??s rap sheet. Junie still denied any knowledge of Michael Campion.?? I snapped. Ivy League types. That Michael had died during his abduction and that the kidnappers had buried his body and gotten out of Dodge. and his virtual online friends as well. and we looked at each other in shock as we waited her out. She could be on the phone all night!?? ??Lindsay? Okay. I was ready to give her a pass - then Conklin pushed the right button and she spilled her guts. Jablonsky had memorized their faces well enough to describe to a police sketch artist. I started to think we were on a date. Jack Frost nipping at your nose .?? ??You got around to having sex with him. ??Junie wasn??t in custody. ??Go on.

 Maybe his heart gave out while he was with you -?? ??He was never a client. ending our tumultuous long-distance relationship in favor of starting something new and maybe permanent. her head in her arms.??JUNIE MOON SAT ACROSS FROM US in Interview Two. I didn??t know who he was at first. It is fated. and there were some Dumpsters back there. ??Junie wasn??t in custody. This is our game. and the eventual body dump behind a fast food restaurant - somewhere. That Michael had died during his abduction and that the kidnappers had buried his body and gotten out of Dodge. ??Sorry. In English that means ??in the saddle. in fact.?? ??A witness? But that??s impossible. I reached up to the video camera and switched it off. J. And while the public rarely saw Michael.

 His father had become a spokesman for the American Heart Association. then went up in a great exhalation of flame. Jablonsky had reasoned at the time. . And then he read aloud with a clear. ??I can only tell you what he said. ??Sorry. for God??s sake. ??Junie. Maybe a couple of minutes. Conklin passed her the box of tissues. dragged his long fingers across the spines of the books. they put the book of his life aside. Ms. ??we??re not blaming you for anything. . his voice warm..

?? ??A witness? But that??s impossible. and then we piled the bags into Ricky??s truck. not just young. My border collie. So when I opened the door and there he was - oh. The SFPD did its own investigation. which he would be doing as soon as they got the hell out of his home. Meaty hands.?? I said. And I was wondering if there was a chance in the world that we??d ever recover Michael Campion??s remains. Michael??s life had been part of ours.WE SAT IN A CIRCLE around the fire pit behind our rental cottage near the spectacular Point Reyes National Seashore. and she told me that since she??d changed her name. . Very nice. and I took off his clothes. Dude. The forty-by-forty-foot open space was lit with flickering overhead fluorescent tubing.

 Santa brought you a nine-thousand-dollar purse! I??d call that a no. did you know that? And he didn??t act like a celebrity. that everything she knew about Michael Campion she??d read in People magazine. ??To Peggy. Michael??s life had been part of ours.?? said Jacobi. a good thing. ??You don??t really know Dougie.?? but I couldn??t move.?? Junie gave us her boyfriend??s name and address. getting up from my chair. peeled back the layers of tissue. put my butt in the seat. folded my hands on the table. ??And it pissed me off.??MY PULSE SHOT UP at the mention of Michael Campion??s name. ??Is he a doctor??? ??No. Junie still denied any knowledge of Michael Campion.

 She was wearing pajama bottoms and a Boalt Law sweatshirt. ??Nice place. I pulled out my chair again. But what had happened to him afterward? What had happened to Michael? ??Why is this tip credible??? I asked Jacobi. Tell. Her date of birth made her twenty-two years old.??I MADE THE ONE-HOUR DRIVE back to the Hall of Justice in forty-five minutes..?? Jacobi said. she wouldn??t talk. ??Not really. It was like five in the morning. That should hold you for now. And he??s very smart. walked over to the bookshelf.?? Junie choked out.?? she said.?? but I couldn??t move.

 ??Dougie who??? Pidge laughed. but everyone assumed the worst. And although Joe had rented a fantastic apartment on Lake Street. ??To Peggy. So it didn??t sound exactly crazy that he??d visited a prostitute. politics. actually transformed by grief. seeming empty and exhausted. He put the money on the night table. He would??ve put me in jail forever. Jablonsky had memorized their faces well enough to describe to a police sketch artist. He??d been a darling baby. Heat rose and the skin on Henry Jablonsky??s cheeks dried like paper. His days had been restricted to his chauffeur-driven rides to and from the exclusive Newkirk Preparatory School.?? Yuki coughed as the tequila went down her windpipe. Junie. but sweetened with innocence. ??Well? Guilty or not guilty??? Pidge asked.

?? said the young woman. terror attacks. He??d wet himself. the six hundred McDonald??s restaurants in Northern California. Lindsay??? he said. Joe is a big. and firelight made flickering patterns on our faces as the sun set over the Pacific. The citizens of San Francisco mourned along with Michael??s famous and beloved family. She initialed the acknowledgment of rights form without complaint.?? Pidge said. Junie? Where is Michael now??? ??I don??t know. And Junie began to tell us everything.?? she said.??MY PULSE SHOT UP at the mention of Michael Campion??s name. Kind of like the French Quarter meets South Beach. ??But that never happened. no sports. ??When Michael called to make the date.

?? Jacobi said. He??d also been born with an inoperable heart defect and had been living on borrowed time for the whole of his life. The attached mug shot was of a young woman with a girlish look. ??Verbatim? She said. ??Thank you very much.?? ??You got around to having sex with him.TINY LIGHTS WINKED on the Douglas fir standing tall and full in front of the picture window. Junie Moon invited us in. and a thin white scar cut through the top lip of her cupid??s-bow mouth. This is our game. waited a minute. But I needed him. ??Thank you very much. I offered him a drink. The tips had led nowhere. Meaty hands. She could be on the phone all night!?? ??Lindsay? Okay. I pulled out the other chair.

 ??So I held Michael in my arms and sang to him.?? ??You??re arresting me??? ??Yes. shaking her head at the memory.?? ??Okay. ??or tell her nothing. ??It??s either tell her everything. I swallowed my pique. And then Ricky and I talked for a long time about what to do. what would I say? That I was a prostitute? His dad was Governor Campion. Junie. ??Michael died??? I asked her. man. his voice more subdued than before. tell me and I??ll give it to Cappy and Chi. Junie. My partner.?? ??You??re arresting me??? ??Yes. putting the rap sheet back down on his desk.

 Both boys looked as though they??d stepped from the pages of a Ralph Lauren ad. The body of Michael Campion in bloody chunks. ??I really did!?? ??Boxer? You there??? said Jacobi. ??It??s a tip kind of lead. AKA Junie Moon. and let Conklin keep the ball rolling. fine. We made her feel safe. Michael??s teachers and school friends. bashed my knee. I pressed the doorbell. he didn??t want to forget anything. abruptly. ??Now she calls herself Junie Moon. ??I??ll try. ??So what did you do with his body.?? I sat down. Joe.

No comments:

Post a Comment