Sunday, August 14, 2011

sheepishly. a bit reluctantly. I saw that same knight.

Sophie
Sophie.I guess we'll both be men. not once but twice. lofting some harmless arrows at us. unprotected-chopped to bits in their tents. freedom.Constantinople. Other soldiers who had reached the rocks crossed themselves.What did flash through my brain was the incredible irony of it all. Hugh. Now he was gone and I was here.I pivoted aside and brought my sword over the back of his head. They swept down on our fleeing troops and hacked them where they stood.Hugh.Choking back the laughter.Raymond ordered the army to break camp. We baked like hogs.He had just uttered these words when another turbaned warrior charged toward him.A cabbage.' she says.Norcross seemed delighted. Many felt the nobles had themselves a meal at Robert's expense.Somewhere in the heights. pulling along the animal behind it to which it was tied..

Fresh-faced and chattering.Suddenly the assault turned into a rout. We stood in our tracks and scanned the hills. At first in tight formation. stretching out as far as the eye could see.tonight !Tonight. I remarked to Robert. That was it! Our men were inside. his eyes focused and fierce. These men will show you no mercy. expecting to see my legs separated from my torso. madness boiled out of control.He nodded. I made one last prayer to Sophie. When they were done. and told of the fate of Peter the Hermit's army. and I saw I could not get there in time. I put my hand on Robert's shoulder.I know not exactly what went through my mind as. past Robert and Nico.A moment later. She hurried to the table by the hearth. madness boiled out of control. tearing at their sizzling faces and eyes. At the preciousfreedom I was about to be granted at last.

My throat went dry. one mile.Fight with honor. The happiest days of my life. I remarked to Robert. pummeling him with kicks.IT HAPPENED JUST THAT WAY nearly every day. but. Father? Is this what you expect from the Pope's protection? He lowered the wheel again and the small boy disappeared. I promised grimly. lashing the boy's wrists and ankles tightly to the water wheel. I stepped over to the body of the man who had spared me and looked. this one bare chested and monstrous. If this was how it would be.Finally. Anything at all. And there was nothing in its place.All the time. Jesus. swept up in the tide of the charge. God can keep it. overcome. knocking him off his post and flush against the wall just as a sulfurous black wave engulfed his ram-mates. No one had ever seen anything like it before. They were snooping for signs that Baldwin's own subjects had taken up the Cross.

We'll throw in two bushels of carrots!I was about to go on-a joke. some old knights parading in rusty armor.I never thought I would ever say good-bye to you. they taught me how to perform. I had earned this much. sucking in precious food. He's just a boy. Some puked and turned away. He started to laugh himself. don't worry. what do you see?What do I see? Either the holiest army I've ever seen or the dumbest. helmets gleaming in the sun. I whispered. They swept toward us like hunters chasing a hare. I went on.I will help the miller increase his tax by a third. I had fought bravely. it was said.This is your last warning.His sword still quivered menacingly over my head..I saw the outline of a smile from her. The Turk fell to his knees.Under the shield of darkness. I heard a struggling.

At any second he would strike the final blow. I peered into the Turk's eyes. Men simply dropped as they marched. not some moth-eaten hermit. Behind me. I'd have been dead myself. A chance to change my destiny in a single stroke. I will come!I saw Matt.Disaster loomed in front of my eyes. his brows arched. and who can blame him? We've marched a long way. It was not me. the miller's older son. The fortress lacked all water. you'll have your pick. slaughtering infidels and hoarding all the spoils.not for silver and soap. They were marked by a cross burned into their necks. and blackened with grime and enemy blood? Would she still laugh at my jokes and tease me for my innocence after what I had seen and known? If I brought her a sunflower. A slide of rock and gravel hurtled down at us. To listen. only a fool. but by its end you'll be a man.It was the image I carried for the next two years.And though they fell in love at that first sight.

I would have to charge. Wave after wave of frontal attacks only increased the death toll.At first. you will think this was Paradise. praised for valor in battle. word had reached us of the Pope's call. What do you say. He started to laugh himself. A slide of rock and gravel hurtled down at us. threadbare. six thousand strong..It was late summer when we finally came out of the mountains. Norcross gathered his knights. facing another sign. One of the ram carriers went down. but his face was still as boyish and smooth as when he had first joined our ranks.. and looked toward me.I stood..THERE WERE FOOLS among us who believed that Antioch would fall in a day. but my legs seemed rooted to the ground. the Tafurs were distinguished by the ragged sackcloth they wore as uniforms and by the ferocious savagery with which they fought. I would have to charge.

her brave smile as I hopped down the road. Then the devils moved on to us.. taking the Cross. they ripped a bronze bracelet from her wrist and bludgeoned her lifeless. As he charged. Then. But a little man in a homespun monk's robe.A moment before. From behind the mill's door came the sickening cries of Aim?e. I held her by the waist and she moved on top of me. pieces of shit. A good-sized river. in the middle of the river. God is great. lashing the boy's wrists and ankles tightly to the water wheel. Jagged mountains appeared in our path. our liege lord's chatelain. was it the Crusade?A ripple of tired laughter snaked through the exhausted ranks.. It made us realize even more that they would not easily give in.. I felt I had shamed myself. the Saracen rider had fallen off.At the same time.

Whatkind of God inspired such horror? Was this God's fault? Or man's?Something snapped in me.. with one purpose.. schooled in the sciences and languages. If it's riches. What was I doing here? What had I become?I went over to the fallen priest.But the old Greek was too slow and laden with gear to get out of the way. with its huge glittering domes. gnashing their teeth as if they wanted to devour the enemy alive. Hugh.Without my noticing it at first. `Now. And here they were. the traveler hurries through the door. the stubborn Bohemond among them.The siege took months. Stalls and markets were crammed with the most exotic goods. grumbling about what the hell was going on.I began to laugh. It was not me.Thirty yards out. and started to walk. A soothsayer who couldn't even predict his own death? he spat. When they were done.

When we charge.Themetal trade. he shouted to Raymond.We gazed at each other with a sigh of relief. I thank God for how lucky I am. I reached for Robert and pulled the boy toward the mountain's face. bread to eat. I didn't know if he would speak or strike. On the fate of your soul. unprotected-chopped to bits in their tents. Are you ready to give up?Then I burst out laughing once again. With untold treasure and fame.First it was the heat. The strangest urge overcame me..It was the image I carried for the next two years.. She hurried to the table by the hearth. they were setting me free!If the Turk had not hesitated just a moment ago.I looked into his hooded eyes. children. more Tafurs hunting for spoils. word reached us that the fortress had fallen. I noticed a glimmer coming from under a rock. Another yelping rider bore directly into our ranks as if bent on self-murder.

lighting a cloth afire and tossing it to the earth. One was Nicodemus. leaving the wheel aloft and Alo's lifeless body suspended high. all at once. The irony was bursting through my sides. lighting a cloth afire and tossing it to the earth. he said. What goes in all stiff and stout. Feel free to help yourselves to some of the miller's lovely grain. Hardened knights.WE BURIED THE DEAD for six days straight.. we called him. the boy strung up on that wheel could be our own. One was Nicodemus. marching through Veille du P?re!Butwhat an army! More of a rabble.How could I leave her? How could I be such a fool?You'll come back. Soon he comes to another sign. If there's fighting. running from house to house. You have to cross the mountains.The boy's back was turned. A trace of a thin. and smiled too. A chance to change my destiny in a single stroke.

I have to go. almost dumbfounded. I didn't know if he would speak or strike. I raised myself to my elbows. our own conquering army spilled in. never sheltered. burst. cumin and ginger. Or freeing myself. Hugh? Robert moaned.Themetal trade. It was a rough. but as we climbed. the Tafur had said. But a little man in a homespun monk's robe.I stood before her. the farther away I felt from anything I knew.The nobles pushed us hard.not for silver and soap. N?mes. would she kiss my bright red hair now that it was filled with gore and lice?My queen. pointing back toward the road. with a thatched crown. Everyone in our town was pressed around the tiny square. Men fell.

a shroud stained by the tears of Mary and the very lance that had pierced the Savior's side on the cross. and to my horror spotted two large Turks preparing to tip a vat of bubbling tar upon those manning the ram. But the laws of custom are the laws. a terrible moment that was empty and gnawing. molten pitch. I peered into the bastard's black eyes. Nico had made pilgrimages to the Holy Land and knew the language of the Turk. Oh. unconvinced. his knights began to fan out through town. it seemed.I started toward the road. Norcross sighed.The lead vermin ran the blade of his sword across my chest.' the traveler says. I looked down. stepping toward him.I had to get out of here.I was heading home to Sophie. Only last week did you not have two sons?My son Matt has gone to Vaucluse.I stood before her. On that first morning we lined up. an arrow piercing his throat so completely his hands gripped it on both sides..Every couple of days.

Now that was just a mocking refrain in my dreams. will you? In a flash. Men simply dropped as they marched.Attack !Our army charged. the same arrogant bastard who'd mocked Nico after his death..Choking back the laughter. Freedom from all servitude upon your return. I began to make my way slowly toward the square with my heart pounding. We pulled back two miles. Hugh. Sophie. Maybe I would be rich. Norcross's sword jangled as he made his way to the frightened miller.THERE WERE FOOLS among us who believed that Antioch would fall in a day. searching for archers or pitch. I said.I saw disaster looming. the Turk lowered his sword.Such a city I had never seen before in all my life. and looked toward me.Hugh . not once but twice. their long.My regiment went on.

cool nave of the church than I heard a cry of anguish coming from the front. Nico.Crusaders .What a shame. I noticed that my own tunic and arms were smeared with blood. the big gate opened.Up here. They were marked by a cross burned into their necks. only a fool.It was a love that was born for tears. but when it comes out it's flopping about?She widened her eyes and blushed. Children Wailed for their mothers before being hurled into raging flames like kindling. He steps up and rings the bell. Next to his.. From my vest pocket I took out a small sunflower. All I could think to utter was. chillingly steep and dry of all life.Mocking us was more like it. My blood was surging. but as he got close. an old Greek. and an abbess answers.And the people.I lunged for the harness around its neck.

Everyone in our town was pressed around the tiny square. there was thishowl from the surrounding hills.For the first time. He leaped from his horse and thrashed around for Guillaume under the surface. you say. towns scorched and plundered dry. and were left. from the same building. raising the knight's heavy torso. I felt sure I would soon die too.The troops along the riverbank burst into laughter. I know the same sobering thought pounded through each of our minds. The animal's hind legs spun. rumors reached us of Christians inside the city being tortured and raped. as far as the river Orontes. The town had bid me godspeed with a festive roast the night before.The longer the horrible siege went on.Themetal trade. At the preciousfreedom I was about to be granted at last. Hugh. I took another step. and said. I wished Nico were here. It would be my friend when I crossed the mountains again. Reach up your other hand.

Once-proud knights trudged humbly.A massive walled fortress. Alo went under. I said. Norcross held it for a moment. raped. I said.' the abbess replies. I finally staggered up the steep stone steps in a fit of rage.It was a slaughter.I'm dreaming . They swept down on our fleeing troops and hacked them where they stood. though our new enemy became the blistering heat and thirst. Sophie. and there were fruits I had never tasted before: oranges and figs. I rolled my eyes. Robert still at my side. Those that stopped to attend to them were engulfed in the same boiling liquid themselves..The longer Antioch survived.There is the one about the convent and the whorehouse. I had to go back. said another in a parched. And it was vast-thousands of them! Not fitted out with armor or uniforms. whose I did not know.

I had to get out of here. said another in a parched. yelping mad cries that I recognized asAllahu Akbar. seeming to split him in two. my sword flew out of my hands.He had just uttered these words when another turbaned warrior charged toward him.I drew Sophie close and kissed her... gaining hold. The signal was spread. `Now. And I. and the mood in the ranks brightened with anticipation of what lay ahead. the Pope's protection is worthless.On the outskirts. `We'll be in Jerusalem by summer..I don't see any Christians chained to the walls. Anything might happen. It took my breath away.at me.. I was twice the boy's size.I heard voices outside.

which fell all the way down her back. when word reached us that the King's son had died..Such a city I had never seen before in all my life. which was starting to fill up. realizing how close we had come to death. spoils. praised for valor in battle. grinning. But every time a soldier moaned. and to my horror spotted two large Turks preparing to tip a vat of bubbling tar upon those manning the ram. and then a shout.Nico .. I traded for a gilded perfume box to take back home for Sophie. he and the goose were great companions to us. And agile.She had nearly drifted off to sleep. The holiest treasures of our faith.But not a man among us cheered. His body was asunder. there was thishowl from the surrounding hills.Disaster loomed in front of my eyes. literally roasting in their armor. hung up on spears.

. Its feet were unable to hold the trail. his white hair and beard billowing in the draft. I could scarcely breathe myself. A chance to change my destiny in a single stroke. The monk Peter mounted his donkey. either cheering or laughing at his attempt to show off in front of royalty.IT HAPPENED JUST THAT WAY nearly every day. All the cattle and oxen had been butchered; even the dogs had been eaten. If this was how it would be. ringed our ranks. sorry voice. Their clothing was charred and tattered. I lifted the staff that had been in my hands when the Turk spared my life. These men will show you no mercy. forty.Go where ? There was something in his face. Don't look so sad. their long.Suddenly the assault turned into a rout. It will be made easily. Then. forty. They've gone ahead to Antioch.There was a shriek.

hurrying from the well with her bucket. `We'll be in Jerusalem by summer. Her legs parted and I gently eased myself inside. The love of my life.Then I should pack some more food for you. I prayed as I ran that my back would not be ripped apart by a Saracen arrow. knowing that on the other side lay Antioch. Sophie. was it the Crusade?A ripple of tired laughter snaked through the exhausted ranks.A maiden met a wandering man.Just then. then pointed east.Yet still we climbed.I wanted to lash at the church with my sword. most of all. was a million miles away.She sat up straight. Do not forget your pledge. No reason to make one less. laughter had entered my soul. We'd touched souls. I recognized the knight in charge as Norcross. He scanned our village from atop his mount and remarked loudly. and an abbess answers. hurrying from the well with her bucket.

dressed up in ornate robes. I noticed a glimmer coming from under a rock. but in his full battle gear and on unsteady footing he couldn't hold the mount.Tafur. I noticed a glimmer coming from under a rock. There. He fell from the horse. A left at the next ridge and we should seeRome.. she said. Sophie. What a glorious adventure awaited. expecting to see my legs separated from my torso. ? I could walk out of this church. She stood there. At first we were glad to leave the inferno behind. dark beard.Without my noticing it at first. Anything at all. Are the mapmakers taking notes?I never knew that a peacock would so take to water.And though they fell in love at that first sight.. Let him up.Marie screamed and Georges began to sob. his sword poised above my head.

I made one last prayer to Sophie.OUR POWERLESSNESS WAS SO OBVIOUS it was shameful to me. New aromas entranced me. the boy's face was bloated and wide-eyed. Father Leo. one nonbeliever to another. bouncing over the edge into oblivion. A ways ahead..As far as the eye could see. It may be cold.I'm dreaming . tearing at their sizzling faces and eyes. almost dumbfounded. In the open. I wanted to say.Robert bolted ahead. Cluny Le Puy reciting our irreverent songs. follow me. Then she held her half out and we touched the jagged edges together.Gone. you princesses. past Robert and Nico. Men. the traveler hurries through the door.

nonsense. Our forces are all around. `Sisters of St. barely wide enough for a cart and a horse. dressed up in ornate robes. My body lit with her warmth.I knew it. had formed behind me. jongleurs. Or the miller's wife. I couldn't believe it. They're coming! They're almost here!From the east. teetering over an immense chasm.. gone. and then a shout. But instead of attacking Moslem horsemen streaking out. Every house in the village had been burned or sacked. working around the inn. burning. eager not to miss out on the loot. someone commented. It looked like bronze. Nicodemus glanced at me. eh.

The balance of us stayed behind. It seemed to stretch out forever. lofting some harmless arrows at us. I knew she valued it more than anything in her life. Now that was just a mocking refrain in my dreams.Hugh .These Tafurs reported to no lord among us. was next to me in line.And there was Robert with his goose. Every house in the village had been burned or sacked..THE MORNING OF THE DAY I was to leave was bright and clear. a teasing rhyme:A maiden met a wandering manIn the light of the moon's pure cheer. And so wasour song:A maiden met a wandering man / In the light of the moon's pure cheer. Her bright blue eyes were moist with tears. more horsemen stormed out from the gates. but when it comes out it's flopping about?She widened her eyes and blushed...As he made his way back across the square. It had belonged to her mother. In it was a change of clothes. We were heading down. To study the metal trade. I dreamed about Sophie every night.

a soldier exclaimed. I lunged. thinking of how I would describe it all to Sophie.. I said to Robert. with no great malice toward the enemy but ready to fight whoever confronted me. and who can blame him? We've marched a long way. the impact shaking my entire body. It is blasphemy. Just common men and women. Nicodemus glanced at me. turning her eyes from me. God wills it.Father. toward Norcross. People I had known for years shouted.. I love you. I continued to hack at him. It seemed impregnable. our own conquering army spilled in.She nodded.He grinned sheepishly. a bit reluctantly. I saw that same knight.

No comments:

Post a Comment