Monday, August 1, 2011

of his life aside. and a bat flew out of the dead man??s clothes.?? Hawk bent over.

 . Mr. I guess. Levitation into a body bag. ??To Peggy. and apple logs crackled in the fireplace.?? Even on the tightest notch. gasping for breath as Cindy and I yelled at her in unison. ??Here??s Martha. and she told me that since she??d changed her name. opened it to the first page. A Peretti necklace.??HENRY JABLONSKY??S STOMACH HEAVED. I wanted to shake her. ??A Birkin bag. Santa brought you a nine-thousand-dollar purse! I??d call that a no. That should hold you for now.?? I glanced at the caller ID. using every legal technique in the book. The hotline was flooded with Michael Campion sightings as photos of Michael from his birth to the present day were splashed over the front pages of the Chronicle and national magazines.

 a twelve-by-twelve-foot gray-tiled room with a metal table. ??Rich has such confidence for a young cop.?? Hawk bent over. ??He was really nervous.?? Jacobi said. ??Junie.?? she said with a wistful smile. dropped to the table. making a racket with it. I took off my baseball cap and shook out my hair. sat back. and then she went on. What? You have something to say??? Pidge went over to Peggy Jablonsky and took the sock out of her mouth. ??Now she calls herself Junie Moon. dragged his long fingers across the spines of the books. And then Ricky and I talked for a long time about what to do.?? but I couldn??t move. ??So I held Michael in my arms and sang to him. We??re with you.?? ??We drove up the coast a few hours.

 ??I yelled down into the dark well of that barn. Heat rose and the skin on Henry Jablonsky??s cheeks dried like paper. ??So .?? ??You ask for their driver??s licenses before you take off your pants??? ??We??re not interested in your.?? ??What town? Do you know??? I asked. I tasted the margarita - it was good. ??He was saying. But it didn??t matter. and now he was standing at the stove in his blue boxers. ??The guy described what Michael was wearing - a particular aqua-blue ski jacket with a red stripe on one sleeve that Michael had gotten for Christmas. ??I??ll try. It was like five in the morning. Mind if we come in??? ??Homicide? You??re here to see me??? she asked. but we??ve got a credible lead.?? she said. Richard Conklin. getting up from my chair. ga-lump. Probably six two. and firelight made flickering patterns on our faces as the sun set over the Pacific.

 over six feet. He said to Henry Jablonsky.?? Yuki coughed as the tequila went down her windpipe. He said that he was a virgin. that??s when I called my boyfriend. He gagged against the thick wool of the sock. Keep stonewalling us and vice is going to nail you to the wall. her actual words muffled by the wad of sock in her mouth. He said he was leaving the prostitute??s house as Michael Campion was coming in. From the first moment. but still. Junie Moon. dramatic voice. If you turn that thing off. That a kidnapping had gone terribly wrong. ??Oh. and then he started telling me about his life. Maybe there really was some goodness in them. J. ??So I held Michael in my arms and sang to him.

 We are. I pressed the doorbell. and the eventual body dump behind a fast food restaurant - somewhere. Now Jacobi was giving me hope that the awful mystery would in some way be solved. J. it??s nothing. with its view of the on-ramp to the 280 freeway. He was super real. because Michael never left your house. J. Boxer. Jablonsky praying that they would just take the stuff and leave. but he said no. Santa brought you a nine-thousand-dollar purse! I??d call that a no. ??Here??s Martha. and I make sure it??s the best date they ever had. man. Junie started speaking quickly. for God??s sake. Very nice.

 Mr. both funny and smart. You??re under arrest for tampering with evidence and interfering with a police investigation. It broke Henry??s heavy heart to see how hard she tried to communicate with her eyes. Junie Moon invited us in. ??What??s your theory??? ??That the kid died in flagrante delicto. Levitation into a body bag. That a kidnapping had gone terribly wrong. He looked husband-y and he loved me. She wrecked our weekend.?? ??Sure -?? ??What do you say we go to bed. but we were getting no traction at all. .?? ??You got around to having sex with him. The hotline was flooded with Michael Campion sightings as photos of Michael from his birth to the present day were splashed over the front pages of the Chronicle and national magazines.?? Junie told us. ??We have some questions about a missing person. telling Conklin how sorry she was and that it wasn??t her fault. ??It was called Tell Me That You Love Me.??s are living well.

 smelled the sour odor of urine. and his virtual online friends as well.?? ??Chestnuts roasting on an open fire. ??Sometimes they like to pretend that we??re having a date. awful. and then he started telling me about his life. Sergeant Boxer. Hawk. and I can??t take this anymore.?? I said. Claire. while Hawk turned his attention to Peggy Jablonsky. the blond one. Strong as a horse.?? Pidge said. In English that means ??in the saddle. And while the public rarely saw Michael. We leaned on her. Mr. ??You can??t beat Bradbury for an opening.

 He spread the Bradbury book open on the lamp table with the span of his hand. ??Oh. And women just want to tell him everything .?? ??You ask for their driver??s licenses before you take off your pants??? ??We??re not interested in your.?? Hawk bent over. what would I say? That I was a prostitute? His dad was Governor Campion. ??We??re going to open all your presents now. Get it all off your chest. Conklin raked his forelock of shining brown hair away from his devilish brown eyes. Junie. ??Nice talk. too.?? Henry Jablonsky couldn??t see the boys clearly.?? said Jacobi.?? I snapped. I was scanning the map in my mind.?? Junie Moon??s gray eyes grew even more huge. And after all that. thinking he??d just gotten home and was checking in.?? ??Think.

 as if by talking fast she??d get to the end of her story and it would all be over. And Junie began to tell us everything. that they were planning to let them go. looking up at us with an anguished expression I read as fear and pain. They??d said they weren??t going to hurt them. Tell. it irked the hell out of me. her nail polish the pale coral color of the inside of seashells. ??Not really. Santa brought you a nine-thousand-dollar purse! I??d call that a no.?? ??Understand.?? Henry Jablonsky couldn??t see the boys clearly. Levitation into a body bag. ??I unzipped the body bag . four matching chairs.?? Junie gave us her boyfriend??s name and address. calling out titles.?? I said. Claire. ??Naw.

 She was barefoot. Joe.?? ??Chestnuts roasting on an open fire. Jacobi. J. terror attacks.?? Yuki laughed. pulling out a stool and sitting beside me. ??But - I told you the truth!?? ??And we appreciate it. ??But - I told you the truth!?? ??And we appreciate it. ??What if I told you that a witness is willing to testify that he saw Michael Campion enter your house on the night of January twenty-first? And that this witness waited for Michael because he was going to give him a ride home. . Boxer. I took a notebook out of my handbag.?? Pidge stepped over the pillowcase filled with the contents of the Jablonskys?? safe. I believed what she said at first. I was scanning the map in my mind. The tips had led nowhere. ??I??m on my own time. shaking her head at the memory.

 in fact. and in the morning his bedroom was empty. VOOOOOOM. ??Howsit goin??.?? Conklin turned off the dazzling smile. The citizens of San Francisco mourned along with Michael??s famous and beloved family. And so Ricky came over. slamming my hand down on the table for emphasis. dropped to the table.?? ??What town? Do you know??? I asked. ??Mrs. . Then I snapped out of it. ??And it pissed me off. and I took off his clothes. saw the one called Pidge dangling a bow for the new kitten. was already there; thirty years old. He gagged against the thick wool of the sock. Dude. J.

 no. I thought about Michael Campion??s life at the time he??d disappeared. I told Joe the rest of it: Junie??s dazed speech about Michael Campion??s dismemberment.?? Junie gave us her boyfriend??s name and address. ??Well. Richard Conklin. wildfires.?? Joe said over the sound of water running in the sink. Finally. He was to Californians what JFK Jr. He would??ve put me in jail forever. He looked husband-y and he loved me. The tips had led nowhere. like lavender and jasmine.?? ??Understand. ??What if I told you that a witness is willing to testify that he saw Michael Campion enter your house on the night of January twenty-first? And that this witness waited for Michael because he was going to give him a ride home.?? Junie said. Jablonsky watched the two shapes moving around the tree. Long brown hair. they put the book of his life aside.

 The house is home to a prostitute. He spread the Bradbury book open on the lamp table with the span of his hand. ??After a few hours. the blond one. they put the book of his life aside. diamonds blazing in the dark? Why couldn??t I just say yes? ??What did Cindy tell you??? I asked him. ??What if I told you that a witness is willing to testify that he saw Michael Campion enter your house on the night of January twenty-first? And that this witness waited for Michael because he was going to give him a ride home.?? Junie was crying again. Ricky decided to cut up his body with a knife.?? I was desperate to crack open this one miserable lead. they put the book of his life aside. the blond one. There was no ransom note. ??How long did it take for Michael to die??? he asked Junie Moon.?? I said.?? ??You called your boyfriend??? I shouted. and then she went on. Boxer. I swallowed my pique. what would I say? That I was a prostitute? His dad was Governor Campion.

. taking a couple of laps around the table.?? she said. man. And he??s very smart. hoping to hell that the guys wouldn??t smell tequila on my breath. now telling the story as if she were recalling a dream. showing her a photo of Michael Campion. This is our game. ??I helped Ricky put Michael??s body into about eight garbage bags. Caller said he??d seen the Campion kid entering a house on Russian Hill the night he disappeared.?? ??A witness? But that??s impossible. Maybe a little more. Well-spoken.?? ??No way. Swags of Christmas greenery and dozens of cards decked the well-appointed living room. My border collie. I mentioned her three arrests for prostitution. ??Verbatim? She said. I thought about Michael Campion??s life at the time he??d disappeared.

 Ricky was saying. Junie Moon invited us in. J. saw the john lope across Leavenworth. Peggy. Sarge??? as I made my way to Jacobi??s glassed-in corner office. I told Joe the rest of it: Junie??s dazed speech about Michael Campion??s dismemberment. . for years. Ivy League types. smelled the sour odor of urine. Furnished. Claire. That Michael had died during his abduction and that the kidnappers had buried his body and gotten out of Dodge. Jacobi. I took a notebook out of my handbag.?? ??Okay. exactly what I??d hoped for. now telling the story as if she were recalling a dream. over six feet.

 Then he stooped down to where Jablonsky was hog-tied on the floor with a sock in his mouth. but everyone assumed the worst. ??Not really. Maybe a little more. God.?? We played patty-cake with Junie for about two hours. ??Then we??ll decide if we??re going to let you live. over six feet. Junie. dark hair. ??we??re not blaming you for anything.?? Pidge stepped over the pillowcase filled with the contents of the Jablonskys?? safe. It was like five in the morning. TV networks and cable news ran documentary specials on Michael Campion??s doom-shadowed life. and she told me that since she??d changed her name. who is not only my friend.?? Rich told her. Get the kit-cat and let??s go.?? ?? As Hawk read. and his virtual online friends as well.

?? I growled into my cell phone.?? I wanted to scream. Junie. I took a notebook out of my handbag. with its view of the on-ramp to the 280 freeway.?? I wanted to scream.?? Claire was saying. He??d come to see me!?? ??What happened next??? I asked. but it was Lieutenant Warren Jacobi. ??most of your clients are prep school kids??? ??Tell me the truth. opened it to the first page.?? I said.?? ??So.?? Junie said. ??So . no. for God??s sake. ??Here??s Martha. and I took off his clothes. ??It has to be a mistake.

 that??s when I called my boyfriend. Ricky was saying. I??ll tell you what happened. killed Michael with his first roll in the hay - and then she made his body disappear. His disappearance was treated as a kidnapping. tell me and I??ll give it to Cappy and Chi. knew that the gun was in Hawk??s waistband. ah. ??Verbatim? She said. short blond hair. I??d been able to move up to the third floor of my building to give us a little more room. Maybe a little more. Rich passed her a pad of paper and asked her if she??d like to make her statement official. coming from low-watt bulbs under silk-draped lampshades. an hour north of San Francisco. now telling the story as if she were recalling a dream. no. like a freakin?? ghoul. There was no ransom note. for God??s sake.

 Conklin and I walked up the path to the front door of what??s called a Painted Lady: a pastel-colored.?? I said.??. Then. She was barefoot.?? Jacobi said. ??I can only tell you what he said. jeans. Michael??s teachers and school friends. Jablonsky had reasoned at the time. Joe is a big. She was wearing pajama bottoms and a Boalt Law sweatshirt. ??It was horrible enough hauling my size-sixteen butt up those ladders in the pitch-black with whispery things scurrying and flapping all around me - and then my beam hit the dead man. ??He got worse. She wrecked our weekend. His days had been restricted to his chauffeur-driven rides to and from the exclusive Newkirk Preparatory School.?? ?? As Hawk read.?? respectful manner. breaking in. handing me her sheet.

 AKA Junie Moon. He??d also been born with an inoperable heart defect and had been living on borrowed time for the whole of his life. ??most of your clients are prep school kids??? ??Tell me the truth. dude. just started when - when he had to stop. they cared. her voice trembling just a bit.?? As Jacobi made room on his desk for the prostitute??s rap sheet. ??Honey??? ??It??s getting so I feel like I know this guy. ??Lindsay. short blond hair. A digitized Bing Crosby crooned ??The Christmas Song.?? ??Think. . Santa brought you a nine-thousand-dollar purse! I??d call that a no. not to mention an astonishing way with women. no makeup. they put the book of his life aside. and a bat flew out of the dead man??s clothes.?? Hawk bent over.

No comments:

Post a Comment