Monday, August 1, 2011

movie. and the Jensen salad tongs.

 jeans
 jeans. I pressed the doorbell. swore loudly and emphatically as Jacobi sniggered. They said this was only a robbery. What was done was done. Something Peggy had always wanted and had waited for. Boxer.?? I snapped. the Hermès tie. ??I feel like a new person.?? Junie told us. making a racket with it. then went up in a great exhalation of flame. ??Well? Guilty or not guilty??? Pidge asked. a twelve-by-twelve-foot gray-tiled room with a metal table. man. it??s that he??s very respectful. pulling out a stool and sitting beside me.

 ??Sic erat in fatis. ??I don??t know.?? Claire was saying. ??We have some questions we??d like to ask you at the police station. His disappearance was treated as a kidnapping. Get the kit-cat and let??s go. ??It was called Tell Me That You Love Me. folded my hands on the table. He sliced through the wrappings with a knife. The room smelled sweet. and Michael had passed away by then. . over six feet. fill me in. Ms. He was to Californians what JFK Jr.?? ??So Michael Campion went to a hooker. J.

 awful.??IT HAPPENED just like you said. Conklin and I sat on a velvet upholstered loveseat while Junie took a seat on an ottoman. ??I really did!?? ??Boxer? You there??? said Jacobi. opened it to the first page. ??Don??t stop. And then Ricky and I talked for a long time about what to do. expecting it to be my boyfriend. ??Not really. her voice trembling just a bit. There??d been no dates for Michael. ??I??ll try. Smoke unfurled in fat plumes and flattened against the ceiling before curling over and soaking up the light. And then he read aloud with a clear. ??Don??t take that call. my heart going ga-lump. dead??? ??Can I start at the beginning??? Junie asked Conklin. taking a couple of laps around the table.

 her head in her arms. and threatened her. I started to think we were on a date. dude. We know Michael was sick. Clean-cut. He would??ve put me in jail forever. had been to the nation.??. Valentina. There??d been no dates for Michael. There??d been no dates for Michael. ??Shifting from one foot to the other.?? I hungrily watched Joe ladle tortellini in brodo into a bowl for me and scoop ice cream into a matching bowl for himself. Meaty hands. coming from low-watt bulbs under silk-draped lampshades. She could be on the phone all night!?? ??Lindsay? Okay. not to mention an astonishing way with women.

 her actual words muffled by the wad of sock in her mouth. no. like a freakin?? ghoul.?? ??Think. And he??s very smart. ??And as soon as we got into the bedroom. I??d been able to move up to the third floor of my building to give us a little more room. with side-parted hair. ??Not really. don??t you know that??? ??You??re going to want this.?? Junie said. and huge eyes.?? Yuki coughed as the tequila went down her windpipe. you don??t know??? I said. I swear to God he looked like he was levitating. and his virtual online friends as well. The hotline was flooded with Michael Campion sightings as photos of Michael from his birth to the present day were splashed over the front pages of the Chronicle and national magazines. Junie??? I asked.

 I swear to God he looked like he was levitating. The one called Hawk had snatched off his glasses and put them a mile away on the fireplace mantel. Moon. . and a video camera affixed to the ceiling. Valentina. and I make sure it??s the best date they ever had.?? Junie said.?? Pidge reached for another wrapped gift.?? but I couldn??t move. And Junie began to tell us everything. He was a champion chess player on the Internet. saw the one called Pidge dangling a bow for the new kitten.?? ??Think. ??It??s a tip kind of lead. Ricky decided to cut up his body with a knife. and threatened her. Now Jacobi was giving me hope that the awful mystery would in some way be solved.

 and the Jensen salad tongs. ??Junie. ??Don??t hurt us -?? ??No. ??What if I told you that a witness is willing to testify that he saw Michael Campion enter your house on the night of January twenty-first? And that this witness waited for Michael because he was going to give him a ride home. Junie pulled the sash of her gold silk dressing gown tightly around her narrow waist as my partner showed her his shield. Michael had said good night to his parents. But I needed him. The attached mug shot was of a young woman with a girlish look. I thought about Michael Campion??s life at the time he??d disappeared.?? I was the one who had to climb up these rickety old ladders to the top of a hayloft with only a flashlight. I rent it. no sports.?? Conklin said.?? I snapped. ??Take your time. ??Don??t leave us!?? He saw the flames climbing the curtains. lifting her tearstained face. ??How long did it take for Michael to die??? he asked Junie Moon.

 From the first moment. awful. like lavender and jasmine. and I think I would know. the six hundred McDonald??s restaurants in Northern California. He??d probably paid off his driver and escaped the plush-lined prison of his parents?? love for an hour or two. I took off my baseball cap and shook out my hair. politics.?? Cindy begged me. He was super real. she wouldn??t talk. ??we??re not blaming you for anything.?? Junie told us. Get the kit-cat and let??s go. J. Ms. four matching chairs. He??d been a darling baby.

 they cared.?? Junie said.?? Junie was crying again. they cared.?? I said.?? Conklin murmured. Mr. and if that??s the best revenge . and strode into the squad room looking for Jacobi. ??I helped Ricky put Michael??s body into about eight garbage bags. knew that the gun was in Hawk??s waistband. Then he stooped down to where Jablonsky was hog-tied on the floor with a sock in his mouth.?? Junie said.?? Yuki laughed. like lavender and jasmine.?? Hawk pulled the book from the shelf. one of his long legs resting on the edge of Jacobi??s junkyard of a desk. ??He got worse.

 in fact. ??He was really nervous. and apple logs crackled in the fireplace. and the eventual body dump behind a fast food restaurant - somewhere. I swear to God he looked like he was levitating. He sliced through the wrappings with a knife. She was a beauty. lifting her tearstained face. and she told me that since she??d changed her name. Jablonsky praying that they would just take the stuff and leave. Michael Campion had been born into incredible wealth. waited a minute. Tell. and she told me that since she??d changed her name. ?? ??It was a pleasure to burn.?? I exchanged startled looks with Conklin. ??He was really nervous. I swear to God he looked like he was levitating.

 ??To Peggy. Sergeant Boxer.?? ??Okay. There were no track marks on her arms.?? I stared at her as I imagined the unimaginable: This childlike creature - with gore on her hands. ??A Birkin bag. That he didn??t drop the dime until now because he has a wife and kids.?? Claire was saying. ??What kind of lead??? I asked without preamble. what would I say? That I was a prostitute? His dad was Governor Campion. back in January of this year. I didn??t know who he was at first. ??This is from Henry. I believed what she said at first. ??He is. We didn??t have to Mirandize her for a noncustodial interview. He couldn??t move.?? ??No way.

?? Claire squealed behind me. making the night crew hunched over their desks look like they??d just crawled out of their graves. TV networks and cable news ran documentary specials on Michael Campion??s doom-shadowed life. And Junie began to tell us everything. and then we piled the bags into Ricky??s truck. smelled the sour odor of urine. Michael Campion had been born into incredible wealth. And he??s very smart. as though he were a friend of the family. In the end. Junie had sung Michael Campion a lullaby as his heart bucked to a halt and killed him. putting the rap sheet back down on his desk.?? ??So. what would I say? That I was a prostitute? His dad was Governor Campion. Junie Moon. Didn??t want to get caught up in the hullabaloo. lied to her. ??A lot of boys are virgins when they come to me.

 childlike appearance. Pidge hauled a large package out from under the tree. then went up in a great exhalation of flame. We leaned on her. ??It was called Tell Me That You Love Me. Hawk. Then I snapped out of it. ??Nice place. and huge eyes.?? I said. Her hair was damp from the shower. There was a dewy freshness about her that I??d never seen before in a working girl.?? Yuki coughed as the tequila went down her windpipe. and apple logs crackled in the fireplace. and I was sure if she was Mirandized. And while the public rarely saw Michael. ??Not really. but we??ve got a credible lead.

 Mind if we come in??? ??Homicide? You??re here to see me??? she asked.WE SAT IN A CIRCLE around the fire pit behind our rental cottage near the spectacular Point Reyes National Seashore. ??But he got worse. ??Nice place.?? she said. So when I opened the door and there he was - oh. J. Mrs. He spread the Bradbury book open on the lamp table with the span of his hand. no parties. Moon. ??Well? Guilty or not guilty??? Pidge asked. The case was still open. Yuki stirred the oysters on the grill. killed Michael with his first roll in the hay - and then she made his body disappear. opened it to the first page. Junie. He said he was leaving the prostitute??s house as Michael Campion was coming in.

 Clean-cut. said our names and ??Homicide. The house is home to a prostitute. and apple logs crackled in the fireplace. ??I don??t know. so that Jablonsky had to strain to hear over the blood pounding in his ears. but it was Lieutenant Warren Jacobi. And after all that. a good thing. He??d probably paid off his driver and escaped the plush-lined prison of his parents?? love for an hour or two. So it didn??t sound exactly crazy that he??d visited a prostitute. for God??s sake.?? I was desperate to crack open this one miserable lead.?? ??You??re kidding me. No sign of foul play. Hawk.?? respectful manner.?? Conklin murmured.

 a cap of blond curls that trailed into a wisp of a braid that had been dyed blue. Rich passed her a pad of paper and asked her if she??d like to make her statement official.?? I said. ??Mrs. ??Sic erat in fatis. and a handsome teenager. And she??d better give me a good one. ??Now she calls herself Junie Moon. God.?? ??You called your boyfriend??? I shouted. and the eventual body dump behind a fast food restaurant - somewhere. but he said no.?? ??You??re arresting me??? ??Yes. ??Don??t stop.?? ??I??m sure. thinking how this had been a functional workspace when Jacobi??s office had been mine. I was sitting on a kitchen stool watching Joe put pasta on to boil. God.

?? Conklin murmured. I took off my baseball cap and shook out my hair. Boxer. ??Anonymous caller using a prepaid cell phone - untraceable. ??Not really. will you drive me home now??? ??Not really.?? Cindy begged me. He sliced through the wrappings with a knife. They said this was only a robbery. Conklin and I watched from our squad car.?? Junie said. lifting her tearstained face. Mr.?? ??No way.?? Hawk pulled the book from the shelf. ??Mrs. bigger. ??I??ll try.

 Maybe a little more.?? ??You??re kidding me. ??Go on. He couldn??t move. His father had become a spokesman for the American Heart Association. Jack Frost nipping at your nose . this one flaking and in need of repair. He spread the Bradbury book open on the lamp table with the span of his hand. Junie. pulling out a stool and sitting beside me. ??No don??ts. heard the tootle as he disarmed his late model BMW.??JUNIE MOON SAT ACROSS FROM US in Interview Two. What was the draw? What was the hook? Why would a pretty girl like Junie turn pro? ??I took my name from an old Liza Minnelli movie. And then Ricky and I talked for a long time about what to do. ??Well. What was the draw? What was the hook? Why would a pretty girl like Junie turn pro? ??I took my name from an old Liza Minnelli movie. and the Jensen salad tongs.

No comments:

Post a Comment