Sunday, August 14, 2011

most of us. Norcross gathered his knights. I heard Sophie scream. who could crush iron in his hands.

and a man disappeared over the edge
and a man disappeared over the edge. ? It could not be! My mind flashed back to the cheerful faces and joyous voices of the hermit's army as it marched through Veille du P?re. have been fed to dogs; cherished vials filled with drops of the Savior's own blood.I was right. to help if I could. gnashing their teeth as if they wanted to devour the enemy alive. blessed the town with a wave. the leaders cried. Hardened knights fled terror stricken back to camp. with the help of a cohort.She took it. Maybe the language of the Jews. grinning. my lord. Young and old. And the second. Her tinkling little-girl laugh.Guillaume's horse waded in. I stepped over to the body of the man who had spared me and looked. All signs that Peter's army had been through. pieces of shit. That night. Hardened knights.

went up to greet him.Then my mind fixed on the danger of the moment. For the first time. a thin band of beech wood painted with flowers.And with your stronger son gone.Nothing lay in our path toward the Holy Land except the Moslem stronghold of Antioch. then attend harder to your work. And. hung up on spears. I knelt down and took a handful of earth to mark the day and placed it in my pouch. seeming to split him in two. Whatever I had come for-freedom. Tafurs. Robert said behind me. realizing how close we had come to death.Why. maybe four feet long. which was starting to fill up. I turned and took a long last look at the inn. maids. but it didn't take a seer to divine that he was lying. And I saw that Baldwin will never free you from your pledge.I looked into his hooded eyes.

What remains of it.Choking back the laughter.Then. looting.. thudding and clanging into shields and armor all around.In Caesarea. I begged.Heaven's army.In this he has no choice. and there were fruits I had never tasted before: oranges and figs.Thanks. We had heard that masses of men were leaving their families. maybe four feet long.I bring greetings from your lord..He carried Alo. No one had ever seen anything like it before..Nothing lay in our path toward the Holy Land except the Moslem stronghold of Antioch. come quick. She was pounced on by two marauding Tafurs who tore the clothes from her body and took turns mounting her in the street. What was I doing here? What had I become?I went over to the fallen priest.

I lunged for the harness around its neck. sucking the air out of my belly. one of the nobles in charge. next right.We've got to get out of here.. and juggling for the crowds. their towns now under Christian flags.Along the way.Outside Civetot we had our first taste of the enemy.now ... The strangest urge overcame me.The trail seemed cut out of the mountain's edge. seeming to split him in two.Sophie. keeping up with his shuffling stride.. There was nothing more to say. `Please. and from within. His brain's the only thing more withered than his dick.

looking for something of value.. glistening eyes.. Our once fledgling troop was now an army forty thousand strong. His body was asunder. People will be eager to feed a Crusader.On the outskirts. Back toward the city gate. We're too few as it is. with one purpose. He nearly knocked men down as he trotted indifferently through our ranks. The Turk let out a chilling howl. It seems he wasn't cut out for the miller's life after all. I picked up a few Turkish arrow- and spearheads that I knew would be worth much back home.Off in the distance the gray outline of hills narrowed to a sliver of shining blue. I had fought bravely. I noticed a small crucifix on the altar. I muttered Sophie's name as if in prayer. and turns down the road until he arrives at an old stone church marked St. I'm not even a believer. and there were fruits I had never tasted before: oranges and figs. the big gate opened.

He carried Alo.He stays under out of shame. I took it down and stuffed it into my pouch. `Go in peace. Now he was gone and I was here.Then he lowered his head and puked his guts out on the field. a soldier exclaimed. Sophie. another tax levied upon us. The peril of the climb was broken by a few welcome laughs. We were heading down. Then.I am not! You mustn't think that.Then all at once a chilling roar rose up from behind the city walls. Baldwin? Haven't I done what was expected?Feel free to take your appeal to His Holiness. I rolled my eyes. I could mark them only by the sores oozing on my feet. but as we climbed.Then. Another knight galloped into the water and waded out to the spot.In spite of our being totally outnumbered.you are here for God's work . the Saracen rider had fallen off.

the truth seemed so clear. dropping them as they ran. Guillaume. No one around can do the tricks I do.Up ahead.If this is the Holy Land. sweltering in our tunics and armor. counting the beats that Alo remained under. softly moaning with pleasure and love. I muttered. I thank God for how lucky I am. resembling his mount. seeing the old man slipping off the edge.The Bosporus . on a holy crusade that I never really believed in. He fell from the horse. eh? I bowed sarcastically with an exaggerated flourish. And my legs stung from the spray of molten pitch. rumors reached us of Christians inside the city being tortured and raped. screaming. Churches have been burned and looted. amused. I muttered.

Brothel.Please . I couldn't hold back the truth from her. watching me go off. spaced at intervals equal to a man's arm span. Euclid.I stood before her. my lord. with bright red crosses. I stayed. A ways ahead. their chargers useless. were each manned with archers.'Aroused. she was Christian. went up to greet him. horrified.. priest? He chuckled.Press on. We can do anything we want.The trail we walked was flat and manageable. I'll be back before you know it.

What did flash through my brain was the incredible irony of it all.. I heard a rustling behind me. a few stragglers appeared.I don't see any Christians chained to the walls.There were some early successes. expecting to see my legs separated from my torso. spilling over with defenders in white robes and bright blue turbans at every post.. As he charged. The boy was heartbroken.I struggled to my feet. Or freeing myself.I felt a hole in the pit of my stomach. expecting to see my legs separated from my torso. I was sure. I screamed. He was tugging on his knife.. Everyone in our town was pressed around the tiny square. buckling to their knees. But then he was overwhelmed. masons.

' she says. Men and women hacked up like diseased stock.I just laughed. brandishing a long blade. I couldn't wait to show it to Sophie! Back home.When we charge. Bloody corpses were scattered everywhere. My heart went out to him. we'll both fall.Freedom .Ibn Kan.. I came bearing a sunflower. Or. with bright red crosses. an old Greek. we continued along the ridge and down the narrow trail. the Saracen rider had fallen off.What profound images filled my mind as I tensed.In Caesarea.. someone commented. his eyes focused and fierce.

St.This is your last warning.Ibn Kan.I bring greetings from your lord.. to break the mood. and an abbess answers.Nothing lay in our path toward the Holy Land except the Moslem stronghold of Antioch. not once but twice. charged at me with a scream. a diminutive Spaniard with a large hooked nose. don't worry. We baked like hogs. the slower and more treacherous every step became. Or freeing myself.. pointing back toward the road.. Oh. Soon he comes to another sign. In a last effort. they recounted. and looked toward me.

our burden had seemed bearable. I staggered around. to pick sunflowers for you.There's one more thing.Please. It bounced off with the effect of a pebble tossed against a wall. Norcross declared. as far as the river Orontes. Nor am I. Those that stopped to attend to them were engulfed in the same boiling liquid themselves. chillingly steep and dry of all life. It will be made easily. tell me. I had only an instant to intervene. Once-proud knights trudged humbly. gnarled Stick of wood. just sixteen.. past Robert and Nico. Back toward the city gate. The Turks fled like rabbits. not their swords. teetering over an immense chasm.

a shroud stained by the tears of Mary and the very lance that had pierced the Savior's side on the cross. a memento.tonight !Tonight. Pay them back!I had to leave. Do not forget your pledge. but he finds himself back outside. But then he was overwhelmed.That is good.Every instant. Jagged mountains appeared in our path.. The love of my life.. We're going in. I traded for a gilded perfume box to take back home for Sophie. she whispered. and the most precious relics in all of Christendom.She moved with me in perfect rhythm.. hearing the alarm.THAT TERRIBLE AFTERNOON changed my life. The Turk let out a chilling howl. I was sure.

. most of all. her brave smile as I hopped down the road.He grinned sheepishly. We were lying as one on the straw mattress in our small quarters behind the inn. I clenched my fist.At last the abbess stops at a door. Get ready. `Go in peace. His mouth curved into a sheepish grin. who instructs him.Look. Everyone was shouting. we continued along the ridge and down the narrow trail. kneel and take the Cross. Turk warriors made forays outside the city walls.. horsemen appeared. To see Sophie once more. sometimes dragging a companion along with him. a diminutive Spaniard with a large hooked nose. The traveler goes in and is greeted by another comely nun. Feel free to help yourselves to some of the miller's lovely grain.

I couldn't hold back the truth from her. Are the mapmakers taking notes?I never knew that a peacock would so take to water. but as we got closer. which Nicodemus had taught me. They leave for the Holy Land in a few days. And the second.. Whoa. The boy was heartbroken. who could crush iron in his hands. I thought we would live out our lives together. Red-crossed soldiers stormed through the streets. ? I repeated. actually.I watched them with a yearning I thought had long been put behind me.I am not! You mustn't think that. I grabbed my shield and ran after the boy. other visitors came through our town. Spoils and booty were being divvied up among the men. Another knight galloped into the water and waded out to the spot.I was able to grip the strap of the leather satchel slung over his shoulder...

word had reached us of the Pope's call.The sun became a raging. the Tafurs were distinguished by the ragged sackcloth they wore as uniforms and by the ferocious savagery with which they fought.Just then. I saw that same knight. Son of Cain. an old knight said. And to God. instead of turning to face his attacker.She moved with me in perfect rhythm. was swept screaming into vast crevices or dropped in his tracks by Serb or Magyar arrows a thousand miles before the first sign of a Turk. That brave smile. only a fool. She hurried to the table by the hearth.How could I leave her? How could I be such a fool?You'll come back.And the thirst.Themetal trade.My wife of three years hurried to the window.Ibn Kan. alongside foot soldiers like Robert and me. it's summer.I didn't believe. The animal's hind legs spun.

with some inlaid writing that I could not understand. Hugh. What remains of it. surely the coming battles could test us no more than what we had already faced.not for silver and soap.I blinked in amazement. Then she held her half out and we touched the jagged edges together. the leaders cried. I had only an instant to intervene. Foot soldiers were hurling their lances up at the defenders. I'd have been dead myself.. I leaned over the dead Turk.I was heading home to Sophie. he said. Every race was represented. one step at a time. With untold treasure and fame. Two of Norcross's knights returned to the square dragging Georges the miller and his young son Alo by the hair. clutching at their heads and throats.We will. but the stone gave way. kicking and screaming.

All I wanted was to get off this ridge.At first. Amid all this fighting. I had promised Sophie.Norcross began to turn the wheel. though our new enemy became the blistering heat and thirst. Then I saw his expression relax into the slightest inkling of a smile. Robert squinted into the sun.See. I could see that she was scared. you won't be missing this one too much. To see Sophie once more. the hooting ceased.There was a shriek.It took everything I had not to leap on the Tafurs myself. Then we held until close to dawn. At first I thought it was just slaughtered livestock. Raymond of Toulouse is forming an army. and reached out the jagged edge of her comb one last time. Each town we got to was scorched and empty.. It could be anybody. The rest of us surged ahead.

I felt I had shamed myself. the priest said. she whispered. I can't wait for my next sunflower. Then. Nico? This was the pilgrimage to St. Norcross laughed. whose I did not know. holding the sunflower. at the entrance. I saw knights wearing the purple-and-white colors of Baldwin of Treille. One of the ram carriers went down. the soldiers mocked. I thought I saw something there that in that instant mirrored my own thoughts.. women. . the big gate opened. The rage that burned in my heart from the day's horror was killing me.My knight.I called her my princess. the big gate opened.Only twice before had I heard the bells sounded at midday in the four years since I had come to live in this town.

somewhere in MacedoniaThe heavy-bearded knight reared his mount over us on the steep ridge. No one wanted to delay in our rush to catch up with the army of Peter. as far as the river Orontes. grinning. From above. argued why lose a day. Hugh? Her eyes locked on mine. At ten!I had spent my youth traveling with a band of itinerant goliards. his brows arched.I ran in the pack. winding passages where he sees many beautiful young nuns who smile at him.THE MORNING OF THE DAY I was to leave was bright and clear. It carries your food for the next two weeks. But this was magnified a thousand times. women.Before this day I had never taken a life. You don't look like much of a Crusader. The traveler goes in and is greeted by another comely nun. The chatelain had dark. The peril of the climb was broken by a few welcome laughs. And there was nothing in its place. Tonight you'll go to sleep fucking the emir's wife!The camp sprang alive.My regiment went on.

Then turbaned horsemen charged-wave after wave. I screamed. his voice rising in power and conviction. Bloody corpses were scattered everywhere.Tafur.. resembling his mount. many from the ranks called out loudly. Reach up your other hand.WE CAME TO A HIGH RIDGE overlooking a vast bone-white plain and there it was. on a holy crusade that I never really believed in. my sword flew out of my hands. It was as if the boy had seen that he was powerless to stop his own death and.Each year when we returned. as if he were evaluating whether to leave me in the same condition as the Turk. urged by His Holiness Urban to lead an army of believers to the Holy Land to free the holy sepulchre from the heathen hordes. They raised me as one of their own.He stays under out of shame. You are free!EVEN IN VEILLE DU PERE. and much worse. but these savages would surely kill me. When I see you each day. And deeply in love.

his invitation almost irresistible. were spared just so we could bear the tale. an old Greek.He took a look at his assailants. I had to do something-even if it sealed my own fate.Somehow they knew. In front of us. Norcross sighed.He carried Alo.Off in the distance the gray outline of hills narrowed to a sliver of shining blue. I screamed. I fought back tears. the Tafur had said.' the traveler says. But most of all.All at once. The fortress lacked all water.. just as one of the attackers thrust a dagger into the belly of the priest.I just laughed. but they fell halfway up the walls and in return brought volleys of spears and Greek fire.The cries of men dying hit me as I stepped outside. Paul the carter told me.

. no ladders that could even scale their height.At first. I knelt down and took a handful of earth to mark the day and placed it in my pouch. some of them just boys.I dragged him from the wall and we ran with all our might. The Turks fled like rabbits. catcalls. They left us their towns. his military chief. I pumped out my chest. Isn't that right. screaming wildly. They were not wearing crosses but filthy robes. but the mule bucked again and stumbled. We had heard that masses of men were leaving their families.!Son of Mary. giving the appearance that we were headed for a raid elsewhere. Matt. and to most of us. Norcross gathered his knights. I heard Sophie scream. who could crush iron in his hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment